Author Topic: Value and era of old bed?? ***pics attached  (Read 5779 times)

luxetveritas

• View Profile
Re: Value and era of old bed?? ***pics attached
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2009, 03:17:50 pm »
That's really cool D&b (about the furniture I mean of course, not about... um, your health conditions  :-[ )! I have been meaning to do some furniture restoration work myself. My grandparents had a house near where I live stacked full to the brim with antique furniture, and two barns with furniture. My grandfather wanted to open a shop and restore pieces, but died before he could- well, that, and he probably ran out of money. Anyway, as far as I know, the house is still full of furniture, my parents own the house now and haven't done anything with it. Just sitting there, full of furniture. I was hoping to take a weekend, drive down and get maybe one or two pieces, and start working on them. Can anyone recommend any books to help get me started? I have only done very very very minimal restoration work.

blondphotographer

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2009, 03:51:46 pm »
HELP! My first thread has been hijacked!  ???

My husband has been eating the paint chips from the bed and he's ok- so I'm pretty sure it's not lead paint.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2009, 07:33:31 pm »
Nice job.  Beautiful piece!  You have something to be proud of!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2009, 10:21:28 pm »
lux , in response to your last post , I'd seriously suggest that you start your quest to learn about restoration (refinishing?) by choosing a low-value item to work on .
Restoration is a whole bigger skill area , vs. refinishing .
A historic/valuable piece can be devalued quite a bit by not really having much experience at it (innocent mistakes can and will happen) .

Everybody I know has goofed up a piece or two when they began to learn how to do either of these skills .
If ya' goof up a cheap piece , well , it just means that the valuable lesson was obtained @ below wholesale (always a good idea) .

Public libraries are a good starting point & you might even get a feel for how things have changed (without having to shell out $ for a book that's no good) ...check out the older as well as the newer books .

There's really no substitue for experience , though (according to me) .
It took me 10 years to get very competent at it , landing a contract for my first huge restoration job in 1975/1976 ( and getting recognition for the "Restoration of the Year" from the Mobile , Al. Historic Society ) ....

....And I'm still learning .

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2009, 10:26:12 am »
Thanks everyone!  ;D

Blondephotographer, I didn't mean to hijack your topic, I was just hoping to provide some encouragement, since my ship's wheel was in far worse shape and a more difficult project. I bet you could do this and would find a beautiful bed under the white paint! My apologies and best wishes for a fun and successful project!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2009, 04:40:22 pm »
We all do that here at times....our minds tend to wander....but they usually have something to do with the original post.....just may take awhile for them to figure it out.

I think you ships wheel is an inspiration and should be for the original poster!!!!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!