Author Topic: Copper Scroll  (Read 5250 times)

regularjoe2

• View Profile
Re: Copper Scroll
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2009, 05:08:53 pm »
If I were in your boots , I'd simply use a tripod-mounted digital camera capable of 10 mega-pixel or above (with a macro function) , for starters . Copyright the images , if you so desire .
Just burn a few discs of the images & put one or two in a safety deposit box .
I would also photograph the item with a 35mm SLR camera with a macro lens .
Have 3"X5" transparencies made , as needed (2 copies initially - 1 for 'showing' to appraisers/experts , 1- for archiving same as above ).

The electron-microscopic process would seem excessive , to me , at this point .

I know I'm giving advise here , mafreche ; I'm not trying to tell you what to do ... please know that it's only advise given freely , same as everybody else here .

Having delt with antiquities before ( and I think others here have too ) , and knowing that there are many pitfalls (both real & imagined) for those new to this specific realm ......... I suggest NEVER dealing with folks who have commercial interests 'in thier hearts' , until such time as you have actually determined exactly what you've got .
That being said ,
I'd suggest you consider putting conservation of your item high on your 'to do' list , right after provenance ...

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2009, 09:10:15 pm »
I am also wondering , since you mentioned carbon dating : has anyone suggested having a bit of the copper run through emission spectography ?
It's a desrtuctive test , so a small amount of copper would be lost .

This might or might not , help identify the specific character of the copper in your scroll .

If it's a modern alloy (or modern-ish) , you'll know .

mafreche

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2009, 09:54:26 am »
Thank you again regularjoe2 all help is appreciated. I was thinking that a symbologist may help? They might be able to define some of the characters?

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2009, 10:17:37 am »
This is just a shot in the dark, but perhaps this organization, which does Aramaic bible translation, could at least tell you if the language is ancient Aramaic:
http://www.aramaicbible.org/
Antiqueaholic in recovery

mafreche

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2009, 12:21:37 pm »
Thankyou taleofthesevenseas very much for that link. I have sent them an email and will let you know what comes from it.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2009, 12:37:28 pm »
You're welcome, I found it by running a Google search on Aramaic translation. There were other sources too, if this one does not pan out for you. Best of luck!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

SteveCaruso

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2009, 12:04:25 pm »
Hi,

I'm the Translator over at Aramaic Designs (http://www.AramaicDesigns.com) and I would love to help you independently verify the language on this artifact. :-)

Give me a poke over at Information@AramaicDesigns.com or AramaicDesigns@gmail.com .

Peace,
-Steve