Author Topic: Not Sure what this is?  (Read 1461 times)

amd250

• View Profile
Not Sure what this is?
« on: July 13, 2009, 08:50:16 pm »
Any know anything about this?

luxetveritas

• View Profile
Re: Not Sure what this is?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 09:41:48 pm »
Can you post a pic of the bottom? That would be quite helpful, thanks!

amd250

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 06:02:16 am »
the bottom has no markings.

Chris_Marshall

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 06:55:15 am »
Who said luxetveritas was looking for markings? Pictures of a base can tell you a lot more ... color of clay or mass used, for example. Or one could see if the base rim (if any) is 'straight' or scalloped; then if the base has a mid-rest or not and/or if the base is glazed or not.

In general though: if an item like yours is unmarked it's 99.99% worthless. In fact these items are 'recycled' if we may use a modern term: many items from the Austrian area of Bohemia were originally manufactured to be transfer-decorated and touched up with heavy gilding. Literally *tons* of the items were dropped in the market when the hype created by the larger Carlsbad decorators suddenly crumbled and fizzed out. Masses of original ware and even larger batches of cheap copies were left undecorated. Nobody wanted dark blue or dark green vases with gold frames containing scenes with pictures from Fragonard and Kauf(f)mann anymore; past were the times of Watteau pics ...

Instead of destroying the stuff many manufacturers offered them for sale to hobbyists. Others tried to adapt other decoration schemes on the old bodies, thus creating what some people name 'first shabby': white body, add few flowers, sprinkle on a little gold, *finished*. Sadly, near all the created items ended up in the butt-ugly section of the pool as body and decoration were out of context. If you have difficulty imagining what I am talking about: think Monster Truck only with regular wheels, Miss World with a full beard or a local politician with brains. It just does not fit.

If I am not mistaken your item has a big spider crack anyway. In that case - would it crack you up if I state that the item is simply smashing (pun intended, I'm a Yorkshireman) :)