Author Topic: Antique Cobalt Plates... That's about all I know!  (Read 2873 times)

mellylou

• View Profile
Antique Cobalt Plates... That's about all I know!
« on: July 27, 2009, 02:14:07 am »
So, I found these plates in a hospice shop about a year ago for $14 and although I am really a novice collector, I've been lucky to get the "feel" for things collectible. I've held onto this pair of what I believe to be called "cobalt plates." There is no hallmark, although the back has holes for display and the plates are rather petite (6 1/4" diameter), which leads me to believe that they have always been meant more as paintings, than for practical uses (i.e.-eating, etc.). They are beautiful and ornate but the realism is primitive and folky. One plate is a depiction of a maritime daytime scene, the other is a tranquil night scene with a crescent moon and waterfall. I'm guessing they are probably European (Austrian?) and maybe 150 years? I'm floundering here and speculating. Yet, I've found nothing within a year that is comprable to these two in style, which always leads me to believe that they are in fact special (at least they are to me). I can't seem to sell these because I am simply attached, but I am a newly graduated design student, so if they're worth a lot, I might need to!

www.melissaloucaste llano.com/thistledown/IMG_4505.jpg

www.melissaloucaste llano.com/thistledown/IMG_4506.jpg

www.melissaloucaste llano.com/thistledown/IMG_4507.jpg

Thank you for your time and any help, is very much appreciated! I am more curious than anything, as I'm pretty sure I will keep them.

Melissa

regularjoe2

• View Profile
Re: Antique Cobalt Plates... That's about all I know!
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 05:01:30 pm »
My little 2 cents worth is that I think these are much more like Armenian designs (grape leaves are a indicator of this) , rather than what you suspect they are , mellylou .

I will comment that your plates don't appear to be of the age you mentioned .

Let's see what the others in the forum think !

Here's a couple of Armenian examples of the leaf/vine 'trim' motif .
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 08:16:47 am by regularjoe2 »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 05:55:10 pm »
I'm giving my 2cents worth as well (any other givers?).

I agree that these do not appear to be the age that you have been told.  Don't appear the typical European look that you would have seen with cobalt plates.  More the eastern style.  If items were of the age that you were told....they would have very rarely been made to just "hang" as these look made for.

Although many makers didn't have marks at some point...very odd yours don't have them.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 07:51:12 pm »
Guess I better add a couple of cents worth here.  The backs don't look to be what I have seen in the older 100 + year plates, which is really only a few.  But If I remember back that someone here on the forum mentioned that the Ring on the bottom of the plate used to keep the plate from sticking to the kiln on older plates and items would be unglazed, these appear to be glazed.  O.k. we are up to 6 cents worth here, can we get 8  ;D

mellylou

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 01:11:00 am »
Thanks, I was certainly just throwing these things out there and obviously have no idea what I'm talking about. The more I began to look at them, the more I realized they weren't nearly as old as I stated. I'm certainly seeing the Eastern influence now that you mention it. The boats themselves are strange type fishing boats I think, that don't look typical European. Interesting... I'll be glad to hear anymore cents and appreciate the cents already contributed! 

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 05:52:11 am »
Mellylou, my 2 cents worth, …. I think you plates were made specifically as “decorator” or “collector” pieces because of the “high” rim on the backside with the holes in said. Standard plates do not have such a high rim, except “restaurant ware” may have a rim a little higher than normal. Check the inside of the holes in the rim to see if there is any glazing in them. If so, that means the holes were drilled before the glazing was “fired” on them and thus made specifically for “hanging” them on the wall. 

And I wouldn’t call them “cobalt” but maybe a “royal blue”.

And Ironlord, said “unglazed rims” do not really apply to plates, cups and saucers (except “restaurant ware” again), …. but to the larger heaver items such as really older mugs, jugs and large serving pieces. Now on many pieces of old pottery and porcelain one can see “3 small dimples” on the backside. These were caused by the projections on the “spider” that was used to set them on in the kiln when “firing” the glaze.

Of course now, there are always exceptions to any "2 cent'ers". 

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009, 08:01:54 am »
they look to be Italian. certainly decorator plates. there worth $8.00 to $ 10.00 Dollars a piece

mellylou

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2009, 10:23:20 pm »
Okay then! I suppose I bought them at the right price--amazing seeing as they were hand-painted with such care (they don't appear to be transfer-ware). I would have certainly paid more than I did. Thank you again.

luxetveritas

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2009, 10:40:18 pm »
Okay, just for the heck of it, I'll add a comment (technically my two cents worth :)... or more like .02 cents worth :D ).

Pertaining to the rims, they resemble a vincennes style I saw in a Christie's lot. However, since yours are hanging plates (and the design on the surface is completely different), they are most certainly not. Shame since vincennes bleu lapis dishes are upwards of $6,000 :(

I realize that that comment is terribly dissapointing for you, as I provided no information about your plates, just thought I would comment on the rims, as there have been a few other comments about them. Sorry!