Author Topic: This is the rest of my flea market finds  (Read 2655 times)

Keith

• View Profile
This is the rest of my flea market finds
« on: July 16, 2009, 06:07:07 pm »
This is the last of what we found today.The first i'm guessing is a sugar bowl but i'm not sure.I'm sure it is suppose to have a lid,but it was only $1.75
The second is a small dish of some sort,i can't read the bottom.$0.75
God bless

Keith

• View Profile
Re: This is the rest of my flea market finds
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 06:09:46 pm »
This last i guess is another sugar bowl.I gave $5.00
God bless

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 08:23:52 pm »
     Now this set of stuff is my style.  ;D,  I would buy those.  The only thing I have learned over the past few months is to stay away from Sugar bowl without lids, unless you collect them, and I just might send you a couple I tried to get rid of  ;D.   This item also has some serious issues about it.  So unless this is a rare piece of a sought after hallmark, clear a bit more space behind the mason jars, but in front of the chopper (may hide the chopper a bit) and you have a start of a nice package for the future Antiquer, early 401K per say.   The other items looks like a couple of possible sales may take a couple of times.  Remember to resale items on ebay, the chargers of out weigh the value, quickly if not sold the first time.  I'm not sure of your perferred method of sale, ebay, online store, etc.  Take it from a novice (O.k. I will stop calling myself rookie,  Novice  ;), if that o.k. with all you here on the forum)   That the small $2.00 will begin to take over any space you have available you should see my room  ;D.  I may just have to through out my mason jars  :D.   Anyway You have done well in my book, but I'm just the novice here  :P

luxetveritas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 09:33:41 pm »
You could auction them- I definitely would with the one without the lid. Looks like you'll make some money, congrats! Word of caution though- sometimes auctions are not a good idea if you don't have a lot of feedback. When I first starting selling on eBay, I decided "hey, I'll start out with items that are around the $30 range so I can be known as a reputable seller that sells high end stuff). I ended up selling mid 19th century pieces for literally $6 a piece. Many porcelain buyers will not buy from seller with less than 300 positive selling feedback. I sold ten Bavarian plates- each worth about $25 for no more than $6 a piece- with free shipping :'( I got a tough break on that one.

Chris_Marshall

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 11:46:58 pm »
Keith,

The second is a small dish of some sort,i can't read the bottom.$0.75

Don't know the mark but it reads 'Hand Painted' if that helps. Sorry I'm about to hijack a post here :)

luxetveritas:

'Bavarian plates' are a little too unspecific - but how did you estimate your 'resales value' of those? Taking the literal tons of manufacturers in Bavaria even a trademarked item can be high-class or downright junk, not even taking into account the gadzillions of unbranded and only 'Bavaria'-marked cheap imports. Quite often the manufacturer name counts so one can ignore many non-sellers anyway and if you can offer the correct mold/deco name or 'replacements.com' designation/number you are near the winning line as items backed that way normally get the needed attention and resale prices.

You also mention 'porcelain buyers' (which sometimes are even worse than glassies) and the estimated '300 feedback': ah! good note - and most of the folks I know also check your FB to see if those 300+ FB contain enough porcelain, glass or whatever to verify that you are capable in dealing with the stuff. Remember, you would not like your heart operation being done by a plumber and so those folks try to check if you have enough experience ... it's common sense. Vital point here are notes on packing as that is essential for such items; not only for you (saves hassle) but for one of your largest assets, your reputation.

As we're with packing: many people still think insurance is optional and/or matter of the buyer ... a big bad boo boo as insurance is there to protect the seller (*you*). Porcelain nerds and glassies will and do prefer sellers that insure their goods no matter what and I know some on eBay that send questions regarding cutting back fees; people that remain firm and professional and rather back out of a sale before having to send goods underrate or underpacked get the sale while others are traded on black lists (!!!).

And now I'll run off before Keith hits me on the noggin for hijacking his thread :)

luxetveritas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 12:23:10 am »
The "Bavarian" cake plates were pieces from the 1850's and are quite collectible. Since then I have sold almost identical cake plates for upwards of $40. And a note, when I sold these I had gotten a note of feedback from a buyer saying I had packed his porcelain vase incorrectly- and it was just laying in the box which is absolutely absurd. So, I think that contributed quite a bit to the low ending prices. The most valuable plate I sold for $12, ended up being resold for $50 the next week. Oh well :(

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 10:07:10 am »
Thanks for the information Chris - that was very good information that will help benefit many on this site!  We all get into the values and history and talk about the sale....but don't usually go past that point.  Keith, thanks for the post.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Keith

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 11:12:21 am »
Thanks KC,and thanks to all for the help and advice.

God bless,Keith
God bless