Author Topic: Problem with date and description of clock.  (Read 1500 times)

ginetx

• View Profile
Problem with date and description of clock.
« on: December 07, 2003, 11:38:59 am »
I have an Ansonia clock that I would call a candlestick clock, but have been unable to find any information on it.  The factory mark on the mechanism shows it to be from the Connecticut factory so I know that it is prior to 1879, but family history has it 'chiming in the beginning of the Civil War' in Charleston, SC, which means it would be older than April of 1861.  The glass dome was apparently cracked when personal belongings were packed for safety and it later broke, however, the clock is still entirely original and still works perfectly - chiming on the hour as it should and keeping fairly regular time.  The candlestick is offset from the center of the pedestal (both are wood) toward the back so the clock is centered over the pedestal.  It is simply made and not very ornate, the face is similar to Ansonia and other clocks of the time period (white with roman numerals) banded in what appears to be brass with some decoration at the top. The back of the clock is wood, circular in shape and has two 'circles' below it with additional wood trim and hanging finials, which  appears to be hand-cut - almost home-made.  You can see the mechanism clearly from the sides, which are open.  The adjustable pendulum appears to be of brass.  I can send pictures if needed for identification.

I need to find out what the 'exact' description of this clock would be and the approximate date of manufacture for insurance purposes.  None of the antique dealers in my area seem to know what they're looking at when they look at this clock and a few have told me that the clock is 'fabricated from miscellaneous parts and therefore not an antique' - then they offer me a price for it even though I'm telling them up front it isn't for sale.  The only reference to an Ansonia candlestick clock I've been able to find on the internet is a reference in an index that says 'Candlestick clock; Ansonia; Ter. pat. 1852'.  Can anyone help?  Thanks in advance.

D&b antiques

• View Profile
Problem with date and description of clock.
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2003, 03:59:17 pm »
:D you' are correct.it's a candlestick. patent applied for by eli terry circa 1852.there shop was opened 1841.