Author Topic: Antique etching of South Street New York  (Read 3408 times)

Skinny

• View Profile
Antique etching of South Street New York
« on: July 31, 2009, 03:55:55 pm »
My Grandpa got this along with a bunch of other stuff from an estate sale. We (some grand kids) got to pick out some things that we wanted and I grabbed this before anyone else could. It's an etching. Written on the matting in pencil it says "South Street New York" and "By Nichols". I believe it's by Harley Nichols, who was an illustrator for Harper's Weekly. It's such a nice picture, and It's my belief that it's from the period that it depicts. Maybe the 1890's ? It's not very big, about the size of my computer screen. I'd like to have some idea of what it's worth.

*There is a lot of detail that you can't really see in the photograph. Lots of clouds, bricks on the buildings, several horse drawn wagons etc.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 03:58:26 pm by Skinny »

railman44

• View Profile
Re: Antique etching of South Street New York
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 04:27:06 pm »
An original rendering from an artist who illustrated in Harpers Weekly seems to me to be very good property.  I have no clue what's it worth but wouldn't surprise me if it's worth some fairly decent dough especially since it's nautical in nature.

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 04:47:21 pm »
Nice etching , Skinny .

Looks like a keeper .

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 05:18:01 pm »
Beautiful! I hope it turns out to be valuable! I love the subject matter, anytime I see a nice rendering of a ship like  that it makes my heart skip a beat! Good luck!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

Skinny

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 06:34:29 pm »
Thanks, I really like it. I'm into nautical stuff, I've got a few paintings and lito's of that nature. This is the only one I have that appears to be by an artist that anyone has actually heard of. You can find some of Harley Nichols paintings and prints for sale online, but the few etchings i've seen have been of Mission scenes from the southwest. His most famous work was probably a painting called  "Man meets snarling bear on treacherous mountain path." I know i'd seen that one before at some point in my life. I think it might have been an old Remington or Colt advertisement.

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2009, 08:06:20 am »
Lot's of detail. nichol's was known to have been in new york. and may very well have sketched this. you may have unknown sketch. I would'nt be surprised to discover it's some of his early work.

railman44

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2009, 09:17:56 am »
Thanks, I really like it. I'm into nautical stuff, I've got a few paintings and lito's of that nature. This is the only one I have that appears to be by an artist that anyone has actually heard of. You can find some of Harley Nichols paintings and prints for sale online, but the few etchings i've seen have been of Mission scenes from the southwest. His most famous work was probably a painting called  "Man meets snarling bear on treacherous mountain path." I know i'd seen that one before at some point in my life. I think it might have been an old Remington or Colt advertisement.
I've seen multiple copies of that.  I think it's a Winchester ad but could be Remington.  An original of that would be material for the high-end auction houses.  My .02 pesos.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2009, 11:44:10 am »
If it is an original of Nicols....you have a great historical piece as well as a $$$$$ piece.  Would need to get it verified by an expert.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Skinny

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2009, 12:26:23 pm »
It is just an etching, not a sketch as far as I can tell. I've seen on of his etchings for sale on Ebay for a long time. I think it's from later in his career, and it's of a mission garden in California. They're asking $550. I thought mine may be worth a little more than that, because it's historical and a more interesting picture.