Author Topic: New to antiques, can't find ID for china  (Read 1998 times)

subourbonite

• View Profile
New to antiques, can't find ID for china
« on: July 26, 2009, 04:24:13 pm »
Hi all, I am not an antique expert; my wife recently found a plate she'd been given by her aunt years ago, and I'm curious to try and track down its history.

The piece is a simple plate with a bird carrying a swastika at the top, with the initials "LW" in the center.  On the back it says "Hutschenreuther Selb", followed by a lion and the initials "LHS".  Beneath this it says "Bavaria, Germany" and "24 1/2".

I did some research on the company and tracked down the basic history of LHS, but I'm very curious and confused by the bird and swastika on the front - I have no idea where my wife's aunt could have even found something like this.  I can post a photo if it would help.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 04:34:11 pm by subourbonite »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: New to antiques, can't find ID for china
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 07:15:25 pm »
Company information  http://www.mygrannysatticantiques.com/html/porcelain_pottery_china_marks_1.htm

Great source of information about wartime china and states that this type of dinnerware is bountiful in Europe.
http://www.germaniainternational.com/army23.html

Interestingly enough 24 1/2 is indicated on several patterns so it isn't a pattern number!  Must be a certain line.

You can go through replacements.com and they have several hundred patterns listed for this company.  You "may" find your specific pattern information there.

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Chris_Marshall

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 06:09:13 am »
Just my two cents:

As for the plate you should try measuring it as the '24 1/2' would normally be the diameter in cm. The initials in the plate center are normal family/business initials; the eagle with the swastika in that form was used on representational sets. These are often claimed to have been used only by Nazi sympathizers bragging off but there are far too many cases known where they were used as alibi in otherwise neutral or anti-NS households; after all not all Krauts were Nazis.

Words of warning:

"germaniainternation al" is pretty well known for fakes, misrepresentations, wrong translations and right-wing support. If one reads the description it becomes apparent that the site owners are Nazi supporters; presenting Otto Remer (responsible for *PREVENTING* the assasination of Hitler) as a good German and hero should say everything (page 30).

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 07:58:19 am »
Credit Given. Chris Marshall is and expert on German Trademark's & a welcome Guest here.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 10:54:08 am »
Wow, thanks for the information Chris....duly noted.  Was only directing the the attention to the dishes....definitel y not promoting that.  Will send that information on to my brother though (big wig in Pentagon) especially since part of our family line is Schultz!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!