Author Topic: Scottish heirloom jewelry  (Read 4283 times)

Texasbadger

• View Profile
Scottish heirloom jewelry
« on: May 10, 2009, 05:40:37 pm »
My dear old mother is the historian of the family,,,lives on Ancestry.com and has this bit of handed down heirloom Jewelry from our Irish/Scottish ancestors.  Its sealed in a display box but we wonder what it is,,,for the hair or pin for a kilt type outfit or what?  In other words,,,,HEEEEEELLLPP!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Scottish heirloom jewelry
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 09:20:39 pm »
Having Scotch/Irish/French and German (in order words Heinz 57) I find this beautifully intriguing.

Too bad couldn't see the connector on the back.  A hair piece would definitely have a different fastener than one for clothes.

Feel that it is a woman's celtic pin/brooch! 

Are those etched fish?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 09:38:10 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Texasbadger

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 05:57:52 am »
Its got a barrel hinge on the left and a decorated catch on right,,simple hook with a needle pin. Took a couple through the glass.

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 08:36:34 am »
could we get a look see at the clasp?

Texasbadger

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 09:09:24 am »
Ok I pried it out of its display box,,,now craft gluing it back in,,,if you dont hear from me for a few days call the cops,,,my dear saintly mother has done me in!!!

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 11:58:46 am »
that clasp was commonly used from 1890 to 1920.

Texasbadger

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 12:03:29 pm »
Well that matches up close enough with her records of late 1880's so that works,,,Thanks!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2009, 07:36:31 am »
I don't think it is...unless someone wanted a unique one - and typically in the past one would stick with tradition.

To me it appears that your pin isn't long or elongated.  A traditional kilt pin is longer than wide - more like an extra large safety pin with a decoration on it.  Although yours appears to be very old and does have a pin on the back, it doesn't have the traditional "elongated" style/look. 

It was very traditional for women to wear a brooch as a regular piece of their attire - it was used on their arisaidh for everyday until George II forbid it and would imprison for 6 months because it was a more "peasant look" when a woman wore a tartan this way.  In the later 18th century, the ladies of more "civilized" parts of Scotland began wearing gowns with tartan shawls or scarves secured by a ornate brooch -  this look had status!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 06:27:50 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Texasbadger

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2009, 12:36:42 pm »
Its about the diameter of a fifty cent piece so brooch seems likely. Thanks all!

Texasbadger

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2009, 10:48:33 am »
Hey guys, I was prowling around the old ginormous family bible when a daguerreotype without a frame fell out, It looked interesting so I copied it and cleared it up with a program,,,and VIOLA there is my piece of jewelry being worn by a distant relative Oma Bradfield in Petersburg Indiana!  Supposedly her real name was Wyoming so the Oma nickname as opposed to the German meaning.  She worked at or ran an orphanage in the area.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 10:53:18 am by Texasbadger »

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2009, 10:56:20 am »
Cool find , Tex !

It's sure a nice feeling when research comes up with positive results , ain't it ?

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2009, 11:48:53 am »
Wow....how neat!  You need to document that story as well....and if you reframe the brooch....put a copy of her pic and story on the back!!!!

Just love finding bits and pieces of the puzzles!!!

How cool she ran an orphanage!  Woman with a big heart! (I am very prejudiced having adopted 3 and one by birth......)

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2009, 12:17:37 pm »
Very cool to find the brooch in an old photo! Keep the two together, it helps to document the jewelry! It's beautiful!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

Texasbadger

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2009, 03:04:58 pm »
Thanks all, made my dear old maw happy as well, shes off to get the whole deal rematted and framed.