Author Topic: About this ring with 18k n 925 on it?  (Read 1641 times)

craziibaby33

• View Profile
About this ring with 18k n 925 on it?
« on: August 01, 2009, 11:31:42 pm »
Does anyone know this type of ring it has 925 on the inside and 18k also stamped on the inside. its stone is green i dont know if its a glass peice or an actual stone i tried to look this ring up on google but no such luck. its both gold colored which could be plated i also dont know and the silver which the ring looks to be made out of.  here is the picture please let me know. my emails loverzandfriendz_3@yahoo.com

railman44

• View Profile
Re: About this ring with 18k n 925 on it?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 12:53:34 am »
Your best bet is to take it to a qualified jeweler.  He/she can tell you if it's 18K and if the stone is glass or not.  Hard to tell from the photo but it appears to be a class ring of some sort. 

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 09:03:33 am »
craziibaby33 , it's a tough call to make from only images .
railman44s' is the best suggestion .

My best guess is that your ring is .925 silver , for the most part .
I can't really tell for sure from the images , but I suppose that there could be elements of your ring done in 18k gold .
The ring appears to be cast , rather than made from a billet , so I'd look for gold elements that were soldered to the silver (they wouldn't be cast together) ... 18k is pretty soft stuff & not that much in use for alot of jewelry of the type you have .
The '18k' stamp would be incorrect , for any gold-plated item .

I am also guessing that it was made by an independent silversmith/jewelry-maker/artist .

The stampings are a bit odd & confusing , but the jeweler can get it straightened out for you .
I have seen other items stamped/hallmarked like yours , some real , some fake .

There's a whole list of semi-precious stones that it could be crafted with .

To my mind , the important thing is "if you like it , wear it" .

kehbe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 01:29:23 pm »
The '925' is definatly a 'sterling' stamp indicating the measure/content of silver in the piece. There may well be some portion of the piece that was plated with the 18k gold, or as mentioned before, soldered onto the original. I would think if it is stamped with 18k, it would have been when the ring was originally made, not an afterthought. As for the stone, hard to tell from the pictures. Glass is a good bet but could be tourmaline, of which, green is a fair rarity. Very tranlucent and nowhere near as 'deep' as true emerald. Green tourmaline comes from Brazil, is called 'emerald tourmaline' and is considered 'semi-precious'. Nice ring!