Author Topic: Help Identifying "Japan" tea set  (Read 1178 times)

kkroh

• View Profile
Help Identifying "Japan" tea set
« on: August 10, 2009, 07:43:10 pm »
Hi. My husband and I bought this lovely tea set at an antique shop a few months ago and have been unable to find the identity of the maker or the value of the set. I was hoping someone here could help.

More pictures here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ladydisaster/sets/72157615646810647/
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 07:47:50 pm by kkroh »

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Re: Help Identifying "Japan" tea set
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 09:56:44 pm »
    You have a lovely tea set that is for sure, Looks handpainted and in excellent condition.  However, what it appears to me is a Teaset that is vintage at best.  Older hallmarks of 100+ years are usually characters and early 1900 to pre war 1930 are usually marked Nippon, and japan or occupied japan between 1945 - 1952.  The overall condition says maybe 60's. This set is made as a Export or more likely Souvenir or tourist set.  Based off the painting style and the fact that the cups have handles, and the shape of the Teapot handle looks rather Modern Western style.   I did look through the books and my favorite japan markings books to no Avail, but with so many Asian and japan markings this is of little surprise.  A set like this in excellent condition may top out at about $75.00, If any chips or crack half that.   However the unfortunate reality is each tea cup by itself would get you $15.00 a piece and the Teapot may get you $30.00.  There are Many collectors of cups, they want one to add to a collection not 6, and a good hand painted cup can and will sale, then you have many who just collect teapots.  Not that I suggest you break the set, but just thought I would inform you of the truth of the Tea Set, Not as many collect entire Sets.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Help Identifying "Japan" tea set
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 11:19:07 pm »
Agree with Ironlord that these were made for tourists....most likely mid 90's to later 90's.  The values are right on also.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!