Author Topic: What is it ?  (Read 2589 times)

Keith

• View Profile
What is it ?
« on: August 15, 2009, 05:18:54 pm »
I found this in the kitchen of our home when we moved in,so I wonder if it may have been used in the kitchen.It is made of wood,looks and feels like Oak.

Thanks,God bless,Keith
God bless

wendy177

• View Profile
Re: What is it ?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 05:38:04 pm »
Hi Keith I have one just like it my mother used it with a large strainer shaped just like the wooden piece to mash  whole cooked apples through  the strainer to make apple sauce it was her mother's.

Take care Wendy

Keith

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 05:52:07 pm »
Thanks Wendy,I have a strainer just like that one.It also was here when we moved in.I would guess that is what my Aunt used it for.Would you have an idea as to how old it is? Would the two pieces have come together when purchased?

Thanks,and God bless,Keith
God bless

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 06:09:03 pm »
As far as age over 70 years my grandmother had it when my mother was little, I used it with my grandmother  & mother when I was little  and she passed it to my mother & now to me. I still use it to make homemade applesauce with my little one who is now 5. I do not know if they were sold as a set. best applesauce ever!!!

Wendy

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2009, 11:28:29 pm »
These were commonplace in kitchens that made homemade preserves, applesauce, pureed foods (before food processors were ever thought or imagined).

It would be really hard to come up with the age on this one unless you knew origins.

I know people still use them.  Even some use them to shape home-made ice cream cones instead of buying the more expensive wood shapes specifically for them.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2009, 04:15:55 am »
Would you have an idea as to how old it is? Would the two pieces have come together when purchased?

Keith, being the Devil's Advocate that I am, yours looks quite new to me and me thinks someone made it as a replacement. I say that because it looks to be made of Oak, which is not good for the purpose intended because Oak has a very porus grain which will absorb small quantites of whatever food item being processed ..... which makes for an incubator of molds and bacteria. When ya think of Oak, think of whiskey barrels "breathing".

Keith

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2009, 09:36:29 am »
Thanks to all,for the replies.I was glad to find out what it was used for.Both my kids have asked,and I can now tell them.

Thanks,God bless,Keith
God bless