Author Topic: Maurice Utrillo art work  (Read 1684 times)

wendy177

• View Profile
Maurice Utrillo art work
« on: August 19, 2009, 07:56:03 am »
Hi  I have just come across 2 paintings?? signed Maurice Utrillo I have studied them under magnification and can find no honey comb pattern to lead me to believe they are prints.  Have researched Utrillo on line but do not know how to tell if they are original works.  Can anyone help are these real, prints,repo. possible value. Do not know how to tell or if they are worth having appraised.
Thank you

fancypants

• View Profile
Re: Maurice Utrillo art work
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 09:14:25 am »
measurements,medium?

what power mag did you use - should be at least 10x

**i use 30x, personally**

maybe a pict of back of frames?
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Maurice Utrillo art work
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 09:23:46 am »
Sizes?  They appear small!  Agree with fancy that we need a pic of the back as well.  They do appear to be the type of pics that were sold in stores like JC Penney, Sears, etc.

Utrillo painted many scenes using Montmartre as the background with the windmills and street scenes.

Does it appear that the pictures were painted with "white paint" on the background before the scenes were painted or that the background was painted with a white paint? (Utrillo's works were highly regarded as "white mannerism" paintings)  If so, take them into the dark...when you look at this type of painting in the dark the whole painting will appear white (an odd glow to it). The white areas will appear dark. The colors that aren't white will appear white in the dark. (Much like a photo negative is opposite of the finished picture.)  The colors will "behave" like they are white, thus "le mannerism blanc".  It is believed that Utrillo achieved this effect by mixing lime (the kind used for landscaping and sports fields) with the non-white paints.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 09:52:51 am by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!