Author Topic: Winchester Repeating Arms Co Meat Grinder Model W12 produced when?  (Read 12923 times)

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: Winchester Repeating Arms Co Meat Grinder Model W12 produced when?
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2009, 10:38:49 pm »
Well, part of the fun of it for us I think will be in the effort. My hubby has become disabled in the last couple of years and is none to happy about it, so I've started trying to have more things at home for him to keep busy with. We're growing our first apple trees in containers, doing a bit of "backyard farming", and giving the yard a makeover to make it nice for him to hang out in while I'm at work. With pressing cider, for us the point is in raising the trees learning about polination and such, and finally, if all goes well, reaping the rewards. I'm thinking grinding and pressing will be part of the fun, so we're looking to go low-tech 1880's style.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2009, 08:48:12 am »
Well , there's that then .

I too once enjoyed such trauma , when making cider .

I used to use a small (about 1-1/2 Gallon) oak wine press with an acme thread and a 2ft. wood handle , with good results . I would line the press with cheesecloth , put in the apple bits , tie the cheesecloth when full & then press it ( clean the cheesecloth by rinsing , and repeat the process ) .
As part of the fun , sometimes the cheesecloth will split & spout apple-mush geysers .

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2009, 10:03:37 am »
LOL that's exactly the idea!! The more trauma the better! Easy I can buy at the store!  ;D I did see a nice Pat. 1884 press the other day that I was considering. It was much like a wine press, with the T-style screw, but the upper press plate was curved to grip the back of an orange and then the bottom plate was a ring. I'm not quite sure how it worked but It looked like part was missing. Although it looked like it could have been quite do-able with a bit of jury-rigging.

On the cloth bags, have you tried the ones they sell online? I think they are nylon or something? I had read that muslin also works.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2009, 02:46:08 pm »
My goodness Talesof....you must have a heck of alot of energy and time.....

I was raised in the country and was raised to do all of these things the old fashioned way....but you have a new-fangled way of putting a twist on 2 old things....
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2009, 09:13:14 pm »
Well, projects help give hubby some quality time since he's stuck home while I'm gone all day. Better than having him playing Warcraft, LOL