Author Topic: tea cups  (Read 1646 times)

whynette

• View Profile
tea cups
« on: August 24, 2009, 11:43:59 pm »
I'm  a lousy photographer  :)

whynette

• View Profile
Re: tea cups
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 11:49:35 pm »
ironlord, i have six of those. the other two are colored orange and red.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 07:29:11 am »
Those are beautiful cups you have.  I have a grade system for cup based on looks Between 1 - 5, one being a plain white no frill cup, to the extreamly decoratative cup getting a 5.  These are what I would consider a 4.   Plus they have a wonderful opalence glaze on them and the saucers are pierced all these makes for great Collector cups.   Another bonus you have with these cups is, for the most part a teacup collector will only want one cup, they don't want 6 cups that look alike on the shelf.  Here you have a set of 6 that are all different but the same.  This is a bonus if you ever wish to sell them as a set.   The hallmarks on these cup is the only real downfall, they appear to be what I call Post 70's, not very old at all, basically made to look like something out of the victorian age in japan.  I look for cups for two cup collectors and they would pay easily $12.00 to $15.00 a cup if they like how they look.  However I would say since they are really new looking I would say about $10.00 a cup to be safe.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 12:15:57 pm »
Ironlord, I have 2 cups similar to this by Royal and they are not new....over 50 years.

$20 -25 each....set for $30 - 45.  I know it is insane...but people will pay more for 1 cup than a set!  :(
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

whynette

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 12:35:18 pm »
thanks ironlord and kc. almost donated this tea cups to salvation army.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 07:04:43 pm »
      Cool KC, This is good to know, I've never seen these marks before and was being a bit liberal on estimate.  The thing that kinda through me for a loop on the markings is the Word Royal and the Crown, which is found on lots of cup, seems these are the two most common words, however that is usually English made, these has Japan. Smelled a bit like the lets make a fancy tea cup and sell it to overseas, make big money  ;).   I will go look around abit on those hallmarks, kinda curious now.  Yes Tea cup do sell much higher seperate, the only thing I was trying to get accross, these are the same, but different.  So this may yield a bit more.  It does surprise me a bit on the age too, but still it would seem in the tea cup world Looks is what it is about, and yes some like me look at the marks, but most will pay for the looks.   Whynette I would for sure go with KC's Estimate, he has the experience and I just didn't feel much like eating crow  ;D.  Looks like I have boiled crow on my plate again tonight anyway.  :P.     

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 10:15:15 pm »
ironlord, we are all learning.  I would have felt the same as you if not for me having some of the same and would have voiced it as well.

you are a great contributor and good source of information.  we have all been erred at time....and right at times as well....that is what makes this so much fun and challenging!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!