Author Topic: Is this Metal container Old?? Or New?  (Read 3138 times)

JeanneCurt

• View Profile
Is this Metal container Old?? Or New?
« on: August 24, 2009, 10:43:32 am »
I got this metal container at an estate sale and wondered if it is old or new  (like something someone made in shop class).  It has kind of an old look to it.  I also don't know how it got to be different colors!  It is 7 1/4" tall.
Thanks!
Jeanne & Curt

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Re: Is this Metal container Old?? Or New?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 08:17:40 pm »
Do you know what kind of metal it is?, sure looks iron to me.  Look at the Ring to see how it is attached may bring a clue or two about the age.  Maybe a pic of the jointed area.  As for the colors, I would assume it has been painted and stripped, but not sure.  I don't see lots of rust, so maybe could be steel, but has a green look on the bottom that would almost say Copper or Brass.  Gosh I'm so confused now  ::).   As for determining age without marks of anykind could be a challenge.  I agree it looks old, but If I was to take a stab in the dark I would say post 30's, pre 50's , but this is just a guess.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 05:37:41 am »
I think that is made of copper due to its reddish green patina and the ring handle looks to be soldered on in 2 places. I’ll make a guess and say it is from the Arts & Craft era and hope that you don’t find an India Brass mark on it. So you need to check it over carefully for a “mark”.   Don’t clean it except maybe inside the bottom and very carefully just to see if a “mark” is there.

About 4 years ago a friend bought a box of junk at auction for $2 and in it was a simple looking brass vase about 11” high. It was “marked” but he didn’t know what it was, anyway he put it on E-bay w/starting bid of $2. When the bidding “smoke” cleared he needed a stiff drink, ….. it hit a high 4 figure. Turns out it was a rare one by a well known Arts n’ Crafter.

JeanneCurt

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 07:14:42 am »
Thanks for the information.  What would I use to clean tho bottom?  It is quite ruff.  Also there is a place where there seems to be an added piece.  I have put up a couple of more photos.
Thanks again!
Jeanne & Curt

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 07:46:33 am »
I still can help but see iron, manybe it is just me.  The weld on the ring is a bit rookie looking too, appears very hand made.  Is it very heavy?  Cogar may be right he has more experience then I do with this.  Just haven't seen much copper so pitted looking I guess.  Cogar - What is the Art's and Crafts era, just kinda curious, is this the era that followed the Art Novea period sometimes call the Art Deco? just before the Depression era.  You have a very intresting piece at least and would add some wonderful rustic look to any room.

JeanneCurt

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 08:35:02 am »
It seems like it is brass but like you said it is very pitted on the bottom. There are a couple of tiny areas that shine like brass, like on the edge where it might have been scraped. I might be a mix of metals!?  It weighs 7.7 ounces.  I cleaned the bottom and don't see any mark.  I agree that the ring is pretty crude!  It is a cool piece though!  Thanks again.
Jeanne & Curt

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 10:36:58 am »
Looks sorta like bronze to me , from the images .

Do the 'colored areas' feel/look like glaze ?

Where I'm possibly heading with this is the possibility that it's an un-finished (polished/machined) champleve item ....???

just a shot in the dark , though ...
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 10:49:45 am by regularjoe2 »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2009, 12:21:38 pm »
Looks more like bronze to me!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2009, 01:56:35 pm »
With it only being 7 ¼” tall I can’t imagine it being made out of iron. And its too small to be good for anything but a decorator piece and if its really old its gotta be from the A&C (see below).  After seeing the new photos I’m inclined to go with the brass because the depth of the pitting. But its color still looks like something that’s been in a fire but then that could be the “finish” that was put on it. If one heats copper really hot it sometimes changes all sorts of colors, like a copper kettle or boiler over an open fire.

From Wiki:
The Arts and Crafts Movement was a British, Canadian, Australian, and American aesthetic movement occurring in the last years of the 19th century and the early years of the 20th century. Inspired by the writings of John Ruskin and a romantic idealization of a craftsperson taking pride in their personal handiwork, it was at its height between approximately 1880 and 1910.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arts_and_Crafts_Movement

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2009, 02:15:54 pm »
Brain hiccup....I meant to say brass!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2009, 07:32:36 pm »
Gosh I feel a little dumb, I just had to go look up the difference between brass and bronze  ;D.  Felt a bit stupid for a moment.