Author Topic: Alice in Wonderland Book Value?  (Read 6158 times)

tmatroni

• View Profile
Alice in Wonderland Book Value?
« on: August 27, 2009, 06:48:03 am »
Years ago, I purchased an "Alice in Wonderland" book from an antique dealer - don't remember how much I paid.  I just came across it on a shelf and wanted to find our more about this printing.  It is a red cover with Alice In Wonderland on the front - Lewis Carroll on the bottom front. The side binder includes GP and Goldsmith for Goldsmith Publishing.  There are no dates anywhere in this book. The first page within the book that has printing on it reads: Alice in Wonderland and Through The Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll. There is a design below it and underneath reads: With Original Illustrations By John Tenniel.  On the bottom of the page: The Goldsmith Publishing Co. Chicago and in the bottom right corner Made In U.S.A.  The pages are somewhat yellowed, but are in great condition.   Any thought would be greatly appreciated.

wendy177

• View Profile
Re: Alice in Wonderland Book Value?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 07:56:56 am »
  I would try a search at www.abebooks.com  without having the book in my hands very difficult to place a value on. Also a search with the library of congrass may turn up information on date etc..  I am by no means an expert on antique books but Copies printed in London & New york c 1865 -1866 bring high $$ but have not found anything in high $$  for printing from goldsmith publishing of chicago ($3.50-$45-00.)

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: Alice in Wonderland Book Value?
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 11:21:29 am »
I bought an old copy of this book for my son's girlfriend, who is really into Alice in Wonderland. There are so many different versions of the book with different types of illustration, page adornments and covers. It was really fun to pick one for her. I found a copy that had not only the familiar illustrations we all know and love from the story, but had white rabbits in the page margins in red ink, and a full-color cover. I think I paid about $50 for that copy. I love the two stories.
Antiqueaholic in recovery