Author Topic: 50's strange looking desk ?  (Read 2320 times)

chigato

• View Profile
50's strange looking desk ?
« on: August 29, 2009, 11:42:27 am »
Hi, I have this strange looking desk that I believe to be from the 50's. It looks like someone added wheels to the bottom. Each drawer section has 2 legs in back and one in the front , like a tripod. Also, the back is finnished and has recessed shelves, so it can sit in a large expanse and be viewed from any angle. The top screws to the drawer sections. Does anyone have a clue as to what it may be and who made it ? I don't see any manufacturer on it. It looks like it is oak. Thanks much.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: 50's strange looking desk ?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 01:08:55 pm »
Blonde furniture!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 04:46:20 am »
Maple!!

I'm not sure I would call it a desk, it doesn't have a "modesty panel" between the two drawer sections.

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 07:16:50 am »
Perhaps there are metal drawer-slides or other hardware that may have manufacturers' name , or other clues stamped on them .

Sorta reminds me of an american (or other) interpretation of 'funiture-o'-the-future' during the 50's-60's .

The wheeled tripod legs , if original , had the design for a specific purpose , in my opinion (semi-portable) .
Can't say anything about the maker , as I've not seen a secretary/receptionist desk exactly like yours ...
maybe it was custom-made ?

Do you think it is the original finish ?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 07:27:01 am by fancypants »
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

railman44

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 07:39:34 am »
Almost has a faux Danish Modern look but casters on a desk completely blow me away.  It appears manufactured and not cobbled together to this untrained eye.  Hard to get a real accurate reading with the "stuff" behind it. 

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2009, 08:05:16 am »
Agree Cogar. Sugar Maple known as Rock maple. found in the eastern & north eastern u.s. agree fancy pant's designer 1950's.

chigato

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2009, 09:36:06 am »
I'll try and post a better close-up of the wood. It's very grainy like oak. The wheels are not original to this piece and I think my friend set it up backwards because there is a center drawer.

chigato

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2009, 09:37:42 am »
Oh yeah, there are no metal slides. It is all solid wood construction.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2009, 09:54:43 am »
I also agree with 50's (late).  The legs and this type of furniture were the style.  We had blonde/light furniture all over our home!  ( The only thing we have left from that time is a blonde cedar chest.)

I an thinking more along the lines of a modern storage type piece of furniture for a home.  Do not believe the wheels are original as well.

On the back side are the mounting hole?  (just in case a mirror was mounted but this style generally had one separate and above it.)

Check the top drawer for ink/lead marks.  Doubt they are there.  Don't believe that this is a desk...but I have been wrong many, many times in my days.  Also check for any red or black marks or blotches.

Measure the height from the floor to the bottom of the top/middle drawer - too tall for a desk?  too short for a desk?  (exclude the wheel height)

« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 09:57:17 am by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!