Author Topic: Native American bead work  (Read 1961 times)

wendy177

• View Profile
Native American bead work
« on: September 02, 2009, 07:41:55 am »
Another find!!! Not sure of when or who made them but they do have many hours of work & detail put into them. Anyone have any ideas on value or anything??? Thanks

Nikkishewolf

• View Profile
Re: Native American bead work
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 11:24:48 am »
Hello, can't tell you who or  when, but can try to help identify some of the stitches. Your moccasin and
first 2 rosette necklaces look like they were done in the "forget me not" weave and the last looks like a
daisy chain. The rosettes are often made with an overlay or applique stitch. You're absolutely correct
about it taking many hours. Most of the stitches handed down from my Grandmother's are a one bead at
a time. If you could get close up of beadwork, maybe of more help as my eyes are not that great . May
also be able to tell if made on or off loom. Best Regards, Nicolle

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 12:34:24 pm »
Nicolle, Thank you so much Hope these pictures help!! The more I look at these pieces the more I can tell how precise they had to be  when doing this work. Must really be a labor of love , pride & history as the patterns are so involved. Do you also do this type of work??? What a wonderful gift to be handed down from your grandmothers!!! 

Nikkishewolf

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 01:33:48 pm »
Wendy, great pictures thank you.I actually do alot of Native Americam bead weaving passed down from
my Blackfoot Great Grandmother and Grandmother. I do put alot of pride and love in my pieces as they
are gifts from my past. My younger sons have shown interest my daughter not so much. Your bottom
necklace looks contemporary to me, the larger crow beads are plastic? Your loomed pieces are very
pretty, the green one seems to have a Sioux flavor to it. I'm not real familiar with the pink braided one.
Are these all made with glass beads and can you tell what kind of thread was used? I'll keep wracking
my brain for more info.  Best Regards, Nicolle

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 10:09:23 pm »
THANKS FOR HOPPING IN THERE NIKKISHEWOLF!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!