Author Topic: my WWI vases---More pictures  (Read 1500 times)

corrinbarras

• View Profile
my WWI vases---More pictures
« on: August 31, 2009, 08:41:14 pm »
The vases were recovered in France during WWI and sent back to canada.
the following is a picture of the outside base of the first scalloped vase, and there are 2 pics of the second vase, or tea pot perhaps?
My husband has just informed me that the 2nd item is a teapot and is marked inside "Bavaria". The first scalloped vase is marked "Combel" inside.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 08:43:41 pm by corrinbarras »

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Re: my WWI vases---More pictures
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 08:59:11 pm »
    So let me see If I understand this right, found in 1916, and the markings was added after it was made, and on the inside it is also marked as Combel?  Is this also hand written?   Not a geography nut but could that be the place and year it was aquired?   Sorry for the questions but I like you vase and teapot but I'm missing something here or smellin that crow stew about to get served to me by the others here on the forum.

corrinbarras

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 09:17:55 pm »
Honestly, I dont know exact dates! And i am not a geography, nor a history buff myself... lol.. All i know is that my grandmother has always told me that her father was in the WWI and sent them home to Canada. They are marked 1916. Whether that is when they were found, or when they were made. (the latter I assume). Thats all I know about them. This is why i am looking here.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 09:31:01 pm »
WW1 being from 1914 to 1918, would mean it was made during the war if the marks was made and dated by the artist, Since they were found in rubble them if the factory was bomb and these were new that would make some sense.  However, this was the 1916 would be Art Novea time, these look victorian like mid to late 1800's.  I hope our good friend chris will show up, I'm sure he would have the light needed to place the clues and dates in order.
The only other thing I find amazing is they are in wonderful looking condition to have been rubble, and extreamly well cared for I see now grazing and only a little discoloration.