Author Topic: Martin Ukulele  (Read 3362 times)

Antiques510

• View Profile
Martin Ukulele
« on: August 31, 2009, 04:43:02 pm »
How much do these go for?

« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 04:44:44 pm by Antiques510 »

Skinny

• View Profile
Re: Martin Ukulele
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 06:17:43 pm »
The condition is fantastic. To get an idea of value, just look on Ebay, where several Martin Ukes are for sale. It's hard for me to say exactly what year and model yours is, i'm no expert. If you want to sell it, you could simply put it up on Ebay, with plenty of pictures so people who know what they're looking for will be able to tell what you have. Most of the ones I saw listed there seemed to be fetching good prices, with competitive bidding .

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 06:31:23 pm »
Martin is a manufaturer of really good stringed instruments , and are recognized world-wide for their quality (with a couple of exceptions) .

What's the mod. # on your uke ,antique510 ?
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

railman44

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 06:45:08 pm »
I think a lot would depend on how old the uke is and the model number.  Martin's are great instruments with lots of history. 

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 08:15:38 pm »
   Look inside the hole for the information.  Should have a paper sticker with model number,  It kinda seem to lack the flair I see in most martins.  I'm not a expert either but was a musician and had a friend once that blah, blah.  Not to dis and for sure take what I say with a grain of salt, kinda looks cheap for a martin.

railman44

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 08:34:09 pm »
   Look inside the hole for the information.  Should have a paper sticker with model number,  It kinda seem to lack the flair I see in most martins.  I'm not a expert either but was a musician and had a friend once that blah, blah.  Not to dis and for sure take what I say with a grain of salt, kinda looks cheap for a martin.
I don't think ukes had the pazazz of a guitar in either the kinds of wood used or the workmanship.  Still, some are worth some good dough.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 08:39:31 pm »
Yea you are right, I just vaguely remember my friends, and It was really nice one, not sure what his brand was.  Just has that very plain look I guess, I mean no dis here at all and bring on the crow if necessary,  Pegs look well a bit cheap and the head looks kinda thin.  But you are probable right railman but just have to say it as I see it sometimes.

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 08:40:10 pm »
Take a look over this site, it should answer a few of your questions.

http://ukulelehunt.com/2008/02/22/quick-guide-to-martin-ukulele-styles/

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2009, 08:44:28 pm »
Also an online appraisal from 2006 on what appears to be a Style 0. Seems a bit of a discrepancy in value between the two, but two years difference in site dates. At least it give a little more info on the Martin uke background.

http://whatsitworthtoyou.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=appraisal.certificate&act=form&item_id=117129

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2009, 08:50:20 pm »
Good Call Sapphire looks like a 0 to me.  Great sites

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2009, 09:53:09 pm »
Good Call Sapphire looks like a 0 to me.  Great sites
Just havin fun  ;)

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2009, 10:10:11 pm »
I've been playing stringed instruments for almost 50 years & have seen many 'mutants' that have been assembled by pros & others ..... as well as wonderful instruments that were permanently damaged by improper storage ..... looks can decieve .

The only real way to judge an instrument is in person , in hand . Period .

The best shot  ( if you're not intimate in the extreme with acoustic instrument nomenclature ) to verify what you've got is to take it to a luthier ( although a decent guitar shop could possibly give your little uke a quick once-over for free ) .

A broken handle on the case does not make a big dif in the overall price/value .
The overall condition and tone of the instrument however , do .
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2009, 10:26:00 pm »
Took the words right out of my mouth Fancy!  Need to have it appraised by someone with "hands on" inspection.

Agree also that the handle on the case doesn't really affect the pricing - that is trivial when the main item is the instrument itself.

Have seen them sell for $75 to $300+ depending on condition, sound, and the all ever-haunting....customer demand!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!