Author Topic: Magical, Mystical Monkeys Candalabra  (Read 2574 times)

DJ

• View Profile
Magical, Mystical Monkeys Candalabra
« on: September 04, 2009, 12:32:53 pm »
Desparately seeking info regarding these mixed metal monkeys. Large piece - 29" length x 22" height and weighs 44 lbs. Base is some kind of metal, monkeys may be bronze. Candle holders are ceramic. Very detailed and lifelike in their formal attire. Oh yeah, they scamper around the house at night. Any information appreciated.

wendy177

• View Profile
Re: Magical, Mystical Monkeys Candalabra
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 01:14:35 pm »
Boy today is monkey day what fun. OK I have seen a piece just like this one but my old brain will not come forth with the info. will go through some of my books and rack my brain!!

DJ

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 04:37:51 pm »
Wendy - really appreciate it. Hope you solve the mystery. DJ

railman44

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 05:43:11 pm »
Is the base signed?

DJ

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 05:58:45 pm »
Railman - no signature anywhere. I really would love to hear from someone who can identify them. Until I stumbled on this site, I had sent queries all over the 'net, with no luck. They do have an "old" feel to them, and also a "French" feel (?), but I know virtually nothing about metalwork/antiques and they are so fascinating that I would love to know provenance and, of course, value.

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 08:24:13 pm »
I remember these guys from back in July ... I'm still puzzling about them/it .
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 09:12:46 pm »
Yea good to see the monkeys again  :D.  They still have my curiousity too.  Wendy is pretty good with that investigation stuff, bet she digs something up.     

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2009, 12:10:59 pm »
DJ, OK I have done lots of research in books & on line and any monkeys I have found close to yours are all of English making c1800 to c1900. I do believe  if  your piece is bronze that it  does hold value. ( would not be surprised if moderate to high  but don't quote me as I have not handled this piece and am not a bronze expert)My advice would be to have a good auction house take a look. I do not know where you are located but I have used Skinner auction house of Boston  MA. & they are wonderful. www.skinnerinc.com
If you email  them photos be patient as it can take 4 weeks for a response.  with the uniqueness of this piece I think it would do well at auction and fetch a good price.  ( not that you  are planing  on selling) Please let me know what you find 
good luck
Ironlord thanks for the vote of confidence!!

DJ

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2009, 12:51:26 pm »
Wendy - Thank you so very much for taking the time to check out the monkeys. I will take your advice and contact Skinner, however, can you provide the sites/books where you found similar pieces? And were any of them by a particular artist? I'd like to think they would cover the mortgage if we sold them, but, truth is, we bought them at a yard sale because they "called to me" and I have come to love them dearly, especially when they run loose in the house at night (cats hate 'em).

Again, thanks so much and I will let you know if I find any details about provenance. And thanks also to all who commented. This is a terrific site!

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2009, 01:31:39 pm »
DJ as far as the sites honestly I visited over 60 and compared your piece to any I found  but did not bother with artist name if they did not match exactly  and found tons with nothing close . Books -I have many purchased from auction houses of past auctions  long gone by such as sotheby's and so on That I find valueable to identify odd pieces.  I also have many antique magazines that have been out of print for  ages  & are antiques themselves c1900s . I found nothing to match your little cuties exact but any monkeys I found in formal dress like yours were English. They seem to like monkeys in very formal dress. I will try to back track my history of sites I visited but I not only researched your piece but several others. Will do my best to get this info to you