Author Topic: silver bowl  (Read 1676 times)

graham101007

• View Profile
silver bowl
« on: September 04, 2009, 02:56:16 pm »
Hi
I have what looks like a silver finger dip bowl/or a pudding bowl or a egg cup for an ostrich egg.  I have seen one of these. It was found during a renovation of a house in Brighton in the UK under the floorboards along with some letters dating back to 1861. the bowl attached to a plate with scrolled edges  has a Capital "A" and a crown above it. I do not know what it is.  It has some markings on the bottom  Does anyone have any idea what it might be
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 12:03:01 pm by graham101007 »

Nikkishewolf

• View Profile
Re: silver bowl
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 04:24:04 pm »
Hello, if you could provide some pictures, someone might be better able to help you.
Best Regards, Nicolle

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 08:53:21 pm »
Welcome to the forum , graham .

Ditto to Nikkis post , plus a request for close-up image of the marks on the bottom ( these are hallmarks & are full of info about your bowl) .

Thanks !
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 09:08:17 pm »
    I can't wait to see the pics also,  Just a couple of points that seems to need to be cleared at least for me.  This is found in the UK, and the marks are not typical of English silver, or are there more marks?  UK silver is usually hallmark with stamps, However American silver is usually marked with the word sterling, at least something with any age.  I may be mistaken here and hope someone can clear this for me at least.  My first impression to the discription is a waste bowl from a tea service, but you mention a attached base or plate.  Would really like to see it.   

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 11:20:15 pm »
Good points about the hallmarks ironlord1963.