Poll

Can anyone tell me how much this dining set may be worth?

Email me back!
0 (0%)
Have an awesome day!
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: 1920's/40's Singer Furniture Dining Set **Updated w/Pictures!***  (Read 13940 times)

mommalissy

• Newbie at this stuff. Currently:New wife, new mom!
    • View Profile
Does anyone know anything about this further or how much this furniture may be worth?  I have a dining set that I recieved from my mom when I got married.  She was going to throw it out, but I always liked it and saw/still see it's potential. I used to play "cave woman" under this furniture.  So it has sentimental value to me.  Anyhow, one day I looked under the chairs and saw some tags stapled to the bottom.  There are three and here' some of the info on it one of the tags:
ONT Reg. 6309438
Singer Furniture Division
P.O. Box 511
Lenoir, N. Carolina 28645
11-75 Side Chair
Color: Cove and Minton Earth
(There is more, but I don't want to remove the staples and destroy the info.)

Anyhow, I've tried to reseach the company and get no hx. except for the singer sewing machines.  What I did find at a website is:

(http://www.furnituremagazine.com/default.cfm?page=/ViewManufacturers&Letter=k&manufdroplist=yes)

KENT-COFFEY
Lenoir, NC
In its day, Kent-Coffee was a very popular brand of furniture. It was reasonably well-made, sold in stores all over the East Coast and was priced so the average consumer could afford it.  

Kent-Coffey was a furniture company in Lenoir, NC owned by Harold Coffey, a leading influence driving the North Carolina furniture industry in the early 1900's.

Through the 60's Kent-Coffey made promotionally priced, but decent quality furniture. For unknown reasons, they were sold to the Singer Furniture Company, a subsidiary of the Singer sewing machine fame. Singer should have stuck with sewing machines because around 1997 the furniture division went bankrupt. In 2001, Kent-Coffey was named as co-defendant in a lawsuit brought by a former Singer employee suing over asbestos related illness.

Thanks for your insight!
-Lissette

mommalissy

• View Profile
Re: 1920's/40's Singer Furniture Dining Set **Updated w/Pictures!***
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 09:29:01 pm »
I'm testing to see if the "reply" works. If it does great.  Although, this means no one knows anything about my furniture.  Bummer.   :-[

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 10:36:44 pm »
There are many Furniture experts here, but you have done such a through search.  I don't know much about furniture but you post has taught me.  Most that post only know it is some kinda of Furniture.  I'm sure someone will pipe in but good job on your research.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 03:47:47 am »
the Singer Furniture Company, a subsidiary of the Singer sewing machine fame. Singer should have stuck with sewing machines because …….

Lissette, when the Singer Sewing Machine Company began buying up all sorts of manufacturing entities they changed their name to Singer Corporation. They diversified into manufacturing of office equipment, computers, tools, electrical products, furniture, etc. Some of these acquisitions were winners and some were losers.

I once worked for Singer Corp, …. by default, …. because they purchased the computer company that I worked for.

Did you know that Singer Corp. produces (or did) the majority of all vacuum cleaner motors that the vacuum cleaner manufacturers use in their products …… or that they manufacture (or did) most all of Sears ‘Craftsman’ power tools? 

mommalissy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2009, 06:11:13 am »
 ;D  Thanks for writing back guys!  I really thought there was something wrong w/my post.  I did not know all about that about singer.  I was lucky that those tags were still on there. Although, I've done some research (in between baby naps~lol) I haven't found any other singer furniture out there.  I've checked ebay, google, and yahoo.  So either I have something valuable or I have krap.  I really like set, but I'm not sure if it's worth puting in all the money to refurbish and reupholster the dinette or just to buy something more modern.  Alright, guys, I'll talk to you all later.  I have to get my day started.  my 10 month old just woke up.  We need to get ready for swimming anyway.  Xoxoxo's! Thanks for the reply! ~Lissette

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2009, 09:16:23 am »
Welcome , mommalissy ...

With the emotional/sentimental value this set holds for you , why not just keep it .

Re-upolstering the chairs looks as if it would be pretty straight-forward , and you could even try doing it yourself ( if you've got any spare time [new baby] ) one at a time .

If your set survives your children ( kids can tear up an anvil with a tack-hammer ) , in a few decades you'll have a 100 year old piece .

mommalissy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2009, 01:13:54 pm »
I do really like it.  I actually contacted someone to reupholster it yesterday. He's coming over in 45 minutes.  I hope he gives me a decent quote as I would like to deck out my dining room around this piece.  I've done nothing with that room so far. Depending on how it turns out will give me the abilty to pick the right paint, crown molding, new windows(really, those things are old and leak, SUX), china set, china cabinet.  It seems I have my work cut out for me!  :)  Well, everyone...Have a spectacular 4th of July!  I'm off to plan an improptu party around a 4th of July parade in front of the house.  Woo-hoo! Adios!
-Lissy

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2009, 07:47:50 am »
it would sell as used furniture $250.00 Dollars

mommalissy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2009, 06:08:40 pm »
The whole dining set?

janicepatio1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2009, 06:14:40 am »
I in fact contacted anyone to reupholster it yesterday. He's advancing over in 45 minutes. I achievement he gives me a appropriate adduce as I would like to accouter out my dining allowance about this piece. I've done annihilation with that allowance so far. Depending on how it turns out will accord me the abilty to aces the appropriate paint, acme molding, new windows(really, those things are old and leak, SUX), ceramics set, ceramics cabinet.