Author Topic: Dolls  (Read 1622 times)

syl

• View Profile
Dolls
« on: September 18, 2009, 01:42:08 pm »
Hi everyone, Just wondering if anyone knows much about antique or vintage dolls. Don't know how old these are. Maybe not old at all but can't find any marks on them. The one with the blond hair is made of wax and the other I'm not sure. Seems like some kind of plaster. Don't think its plastic or vinyl. I have done some research but can't come up with anything for sure. Any ideas? Thanks

wendy177

• View Profile
Re: Dolls
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 08:09:27 am »
Syl wax was a popular medium to make religious and creche dolls in the 1700 & 1800s and to me your wax doll appears to be Mary & baby Jesus.It appears to me to be a poured wax doll They also made wax over composition and reinforced  wax. most wax dolls were marked with paper labels as it is difficult to permanently mark wax. Many English companies made poured wax dolls such as montanari & marsh. German companies made many wax over composion dolls in the 1800s.  French companies - Lafittte-Desirat made some wax fashion ladies in the early 1900s. If your doll is an older version, it looks in wonderful condition and would bring a high price. In my opinion worth hunting down someone who specializes in dolls.( as I have never seen  older wax pieces sold at auction for low estimates) Your second doll looks to be of plaster and the hair & arms remind me also of religious type work as I have seen many religious plaster pieces  with similar hair & arms. Maybe someone else here can shed more light on your dolls as I am by no means an expert.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2009, 09:27:45 am »
Sounds like you are doing pretty good there wendy!

I would agree that the 2nd doll does seems "older" and has that religious quality to it.  Seems someone has "redressed" it.

Would recommend you try and find a doll expert for your dolls!

For grins, take a look at this site.......http://www.theriaults.com/news/article.cfm?aid=218
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 03:35:17 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2009, 09:51:14 am »
KC Nice site !!!!  and  Thanks  such fun learning so much from all of you and putting in my 2 cents!!!  :D

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 01:02:20 am »
The arms also seem disproportionately large on the second doll, or maybe it's just the photo? I'd be interested to see some additional pix of the body without the dress, there may be some additional clues in her construction.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

syl

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009, 11:38:13 am »
As requested, some more photos and a little more info. I neglected to mention it before but the dolls are religious in nature. There is a label on the bottom of the wax doll from the store where it was bought but I don't think it's there anymore. Can't find anything about it. I also believe the hair on the wax doll is real human hair. And as you can see the arms on the other doll are articulated but not the legs. Hope this helps.