Author Topic: VERY INTERESTING Grey-White Clay Bottle/jar with stopper  (Read 1425 times)

7paula09

VERY INTERESTING Grey-White Clay Bottle/jar with stopper
« on: September 22, 2009, 11:22:22 pm »
This is 2 1/2" high, grey-white clay bottle/jar with a stopper that has string through it.  There are 3 "babies", each look to be swaddled in a blanket,  hanging from the string. (The "babies" fit inside the bottle) Does anyone know what this would have been used for?  There are no markings of any kind that I can find anywhere.

wendy177

• View Profile
Re: VERY INTERESTING Grey-White Clay Bottle/jar with stopper
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 08:07:05 am »
Very interesting my first thought was maybe the babies were dipped into the bottle to see how much fluid was left.  will have to ponder this one. babies have an American Indian look by the way they are wrapped up and cozy.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 05:44:17 pm »
My first impression after reading and pondering....was it a liquid sachet of some sort.  If the babies are porous....they would absorb...dry out somewhat...but hang and emit the scent!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 06:15:23 pm »
I think what you have here is a diaper-bag sachet (for back when diapers were all cloth) ,

Cool survivor of the era .
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2009, 07:26:58 pm »
     Better not let those babies absorb the scent then  :D.  Sorry bad humor sounded good in my head. ::)