Author Topic: Antique? Wardrobe  (Read 1773 times)

XVar

• View Profile
Antique? Wardrobe
« on: September 23, 2009, 10:23:29 am »
Does anyone know what this is? It's part of a set which consists of a dresser with an oval mirror and a bed aswell. Any idea how much its roughly worth?

I live in England by the way so I assume it's English..

Thanks

wendy177

• View Profile
Re: Antique? Wardrobe
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 11:10:58 am »
XVar when and how did you acquire this beautiful set??? can you please load photos of the sides of drawers , base & back. Are there any makers marks or labels??  From what little I can see looks to be a  cloths press or linen press.  But need more photos.
Thanks

XVar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 11:53:24 am »
It belonged to my great grandmother, I'm not sure where it originally came from. Not sure what you mean by clothes or linen press? The other stuff in the picture is just junk in the kitchen (clothes dryer and random grey board to the right, stacked chairs to the left). I've taken some more pictures, and some of the other parts of the set too. Apologies for the heaps of stuff covering the dresser, it's currently being used by another family member.

Back of the wardrobe:

Side of the wardrobe drawer:

Ripped sticker from the inside of the wardrobe (it says 78 and 23510):

The dresser (again, apologies for it being covered with stuff):

Dresser post carving:

Sticker from the back of the dresser (from what I can make out it says 37 and 23303 at the top and 26 Chest Bed (?) in the middle. The date part is blank and says /  /19 so I assume it must be early 20th century, unless that was an auction house sticker or something.:

Top of the bed:

Carving on the center of the head board:

Iron fixing that holds the bed frame together (it says PATENT 27299-08):

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 01:10:19 pm »
the linen press was designed, to hang your clothing. and store your bed linen primarly found in a bed room. this one is 1920's or so. but should bring a $1,000.00 Dollars. the chest is 1920's art's & craft's style $450.00 to $ 500.00 Dollars. the $300.00 to $350.00.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 12:30:18 am »
Lovely! What neat pieces to pass down through your family!
Antiqueaholic in recovery