Author Topic: Davis Cabinet Company Desk?  (Read 2731 times)

AllenW

• View Profile
Davis Cabinet Company Desk?
« on: September 26, 2009, 07:51:14 am »
Getting close to retirement I've taken up woodworking and mostly lean toward building furniture, knowing this my FIL has given us a desk he doesn't use anymore and said it needed some cleaning and minor repairs.

Turns out this desk is pretty old and while the wife thought about using it as a sewing cabinet, she's now having second thoughts.

The wife and I have done some searching on line for information, but antiques are new to us and we still have a few questions, thus my post.

What we do know (think anyway) is the piece was made by the Davis Cabinet Company in Nashville Tenn, it has a date stamped on it that looks like  Nov 16, 1949 or 1940, hard to read, and its possibly a Lillian Russell style desk.

Only repairs I can see are a couple of small wood blocks in the drawer channels ? that need re-gluing and one is missing, these are small 1.5x1.5 inch blocks that ride on the channel the drawer slides on, maybe to anchor the rear part of the channel.

Anyway, just looking for some information on this desk if possible, seems like to nice a piece to use for a sewing cabinet maybe??   

Here's a few pictures.
TIA
Al

D&b antiques

• View Profile
Re: Davis Cabinet Company Desk?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 12:41:08 pm »
it is in the lillian Russell line. it's solid cherry. I think I would polish it with a good liquid furniture polish. incidently the year date is 1949. replacement value is $ 1,000.00 Dollars.

AllenW

• View Profile
Re: Davis Cabinet Company Desk?
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 12:55:41 pm »
Thanks, while there's some wear and tear on it, it still looks like to nice a desk to use for a sewing table.

I think this will replace the desk we're using now.

Once again, thanks.

Al