Author Topic: Vintage Rattan Table and Chairs  (Read 2518 times)

dkirk00

• View Profile
Vintage Rattan Table and Chairs
« on: September 26, 2009, 02:22:23 pm »
I would appreciate any help in estimating the age, identifying the maker, and learning the approximate value of these  rattan (wicker?) table and chairs.  There are two matching chairs like the one pictured.  Each chair is about 39" high and the measurement from arm to arm is 22".  The table is 24" long, 15.5" wide, and 22" high. I know that my father-in-law used this furniture in his medical practice waiting room during the mid-twentieth century, but little else about these pieces

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Vintage Rattan Table and Chairs
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 10:01:50 am »
Looks like furniture that I have seen from the 1940-1960ist time period.  Looks to be in great shape.  Don't know much more than that as to the maker?!

Still highly desirable in beach/lake/mountain communities or areas that have high humidity!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

dkirk00

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 10:40:12 am »
I associate this type of furniture with resort areas as well; however, my father-in-law practiced in the Cincinnati area. Was there a general vogue for rattan in-door furniture following WWII? Were there regional manufacturers? Does anyone know where I could turn (on the Internet or in a library) to learn more about origins and value?

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 01:49:13 pm »
Yes extremely popular 30's to 40's however it has been popular since the 1800's.  Majority of "fine" rattan/wicker was made in the US http://www.americanrattan.com/rattanwickerhistory.html also http://sites.google.com/site/dovetailantiqueswickerwisdoms/Dovetail-Antiques/wicker-wisdomsand it was imported from Philippines, Southeast Asia, S America and Mexico.

A good appraiser as noted by the wickerwoman.com : " I highly recommend Richard Saunders in Savannah, Georgia as a wicker appraiser. He has been a certified wicker furniture appraiser since 1983, and has written five books on the wicker furniture industry. He is also advertising his wicker restoration skills on my Furniture Repair Directory, so if you need wicker repair work done and are in the vicinity, be sure to contact him.

Keep in mind that appraisals are not done for free, because considerable time, money and effort when into securing the appraisal certification. Your appraiser most likely will do extensive research on your piece and will be able to tell you the approximate date the piece was made, the materials used in construction, possibly the manufacturer, and also give you a value based on the reason you requested the information/appraisal. Expect to pay at least $25 or more, up to a couple of hundred dollars per certified appraised item."
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 02:32:19 pm »
This furniture is known as ''Cane'' furniture.look's to be good quality, could be very difficult to determine company who produced it.

dkirk00

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 06:22:13 pm »
How can one determine the difference between rattan and cane furniture?

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2009, 12:56:08 am »
Kinda like this site...it explains pretty simple   http://www.wickerwoman.com/articles/wicker-furniture-materials