Author Topic: New Flatware Set  (Read 2908 times)

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
New Flatware Set
« on: September 25, 2009, 08:25:57 pm »
    Just thought I would share my newest flatware set I Acquired.  If you have any infromation Please let me know.  I'm just about to start looking around but had to a least get some opinions, sites, and etc.  This is a James Brass and Rosewood Set, It is a amazing 178 pieces I believe it was, will have to count again to be sure.  It has was Teak wood case, or at least that is what I was told from a friend.  Maybe someone can verify this for me, I have not quite got the wood thing down.  It has three layers and 4th including the lid bottom.  These are by no means rare, or even that popular, but never seen a set so big and complete.  It is missing the salt ad pepper shaker and one Corn fork, but found them (rather mysty found them) on the net.  So I will have a complete set with lots of extras.  I got this set for $27.00 + $15.00 shipplng and another $15.00 for the missing pieces.  Looks like I payed $57.00.  I got it at Goodwill on line.  In a couple of week I will add this to my Flea market booth.  Just need to establish a starting price, Any ideals?  I think this set is 50's or 60's in age, but Will have to look around a bit.  It did come with the original Brochere, which appears to be that age.  Of course if you have a site for some info please let me know.  I have a few, but just wanted to share the experience with all ya.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: New Flatware Set
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 11:10:00 pm »
Somehow this reminds me of a set of brass ware that we had within the past 3 months...they were sold to tourists abroad.....But this is rather a deluxe set. 

They were from my recollection $50 - $80 in value...but with your deluxe....more along the high end.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 11:16:09 pm »
    Yea it is the same maker as the thai siam sets, that we saw a couple of months back, have lots of loose pieces.  This one is really delux, haven't found this big of a set on line yet.  Say a 138 pieces sold for a bit over $150.00 on ebay had the teak wood case and the Brass and Rosewood handles.
Have found out little on the company, but sure this is a set from the 40's to 50's.   I think I will try a $250.00 first time out at the market and slowly drop it until it sells.  Only thought I would start high because haven't seen a set with Candlesticks salt and pepper and etc.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 09:59:12 am »
Go for it.....there is a buyer out there somewhere that will love it!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 02:49:11 pm »
Ironlord, found this but for the life of me can't yet figure out if it's a current/upcoming auction or past.  Check out  Lot #46.

http://www.willishenry.com/7701catalog.htm

Their website is not particularly search friendly, will keep trying to find out when/where this auction is/was.  Be interesting to know what they went for.

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2009, 02:56:28 pm »
Wee bit on the history of James Jewelers.

"James Quality Jewelers (or Jewellers) is still very much in business.

My grandfather was from China. When the communists began their regime, he fled with his wife to Bangkok offering his services to the King and founding a silversmith store establishing the foundation for his children to become successful in many different aspects of business. Later, he financed my oldest Aunt and her husband, Mr. James with the establishment of James Quality Jewelers. My mother worked in the shops for many years as did many of the brothers and sisters in the family opening shops throughout England, the United States, as well as Thailand.

When my mother married my father, a Vietnam soldier, she relocated to the states and opened more shops. I grew up hearing the stories of my uncle and my grandfather including his achievements as a silversmith for the King designing medals for the soldiers. Many of his 11 children carried on his legacy and furthered their success through becoming doctors, attorneys, etc. One uncle, the youngest brother is a cardiologist for the newer Bangkok heart hospital and a speaker for the Asian Pacific Heart Association.

Upon my mother's most recent visit in 2003, a visit 20 years overdue, she joined her sisters at the Palace as her oldest sister, Suwanee, was honored by the Princess for her contributions. Suwanee is the wife of the late Mr. James who died in the late 1980's and took over the leading role becoming the family matriarch.

The photos are familiar of the old shop that was the original James Quality Jewelers, the new shop is not far from that location - in fact just behind the old place - if you were to walk through the alley behind the old place, go way back just before the Bangkok Apartments and next to an Accounting School. There is a newer tall building and on the first floor you'll find an eyeglass store owned by my uncle who is an eye doctor, and across from there is the new James Quality Jewelers. The family had built the new residence and business in place of my grandfather's original home he built himself (complete with a beautiful goldfish pond that flowed between the gardens and the dining room separated by a golden gate.)"

http://www.corkscrew-balloon.com/05/11/1bkk/index.html

And a bit more here:

http://www.bullworks.net/daily/04jan15.htm

Which might tie in with this offering on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/THAI-BRONZEWARE-144-PIECE,-12-PLACE-SETTINGS-BOUGHT-67_W0QQitemZ260478257512QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090917?IMSfp=TL090917231009r22617#ht_2093wt_941
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 03:09:33 pm by sapphire »

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2009, 05:41:30 pm »
    Thanks Sapphire, that gave me a bit more infromation.  Still seems to be a bit allusive of a company for some reason.  Even though there are thousands of their sets out there.  It does appears I got a Pretty good deal on them.  I already have a neighbor wanting them, beside's mysty who won't let me sell it for under $200.00 if I can't get that she wants the set  :D.  The one you found on ebay, is one of the four styles that is in my brochere in the set.  Bronze set, Bronze and Rosewood, Thai Dancing girl with rosewood and Bronze only thai dancing girl.  I have several of the loose Dancing girl ones, they seem to be the most popular.  Out of the four I personnally like the ones I have best.  I think the evidence is adding up toi most likely 60's, but the brochere looks much older.