Author Topic: Chinese Furniture/Student Paper  (Read 1825 times)

massdog69

Chinese Furniture/Student Paper
« on: September 26, 2009, 04:21:11 pm »
Hi everyone!

I'm a History student at Baker University in Baldwin City, KS. I'm doing a research project on three pieces of furniture that is Chinese in design. I think it is from before 1900, and it was owned by a rich family in Topeka, KS. The university bought it in 1953 after the wife passed. If anyone can help me in any way it would be greatly appreciated. You can email me directly at jaysonmassey@hotmail.com .

« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 04:22:42 pm by massdog69 »

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Re: Chinese Furniture/Student Paper
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 04:29:24 pm »
Wow those are stunning massdog, can't wait to see tales drool over these, she will love see these I'm sure.  I know very little about furniture, but just had to say welcome and those are stunning.

massdog69

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 04:44:19 pm »
Yeah, that's why I decided to doing a paper on these pieces becaseu they are very cool!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2009, 11:11:33 pm »
massdog, welcome.  They are all beautiful but the chair (last picture) is breathtaking.  Will forward to a friend.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 12:15:53 am »
*Wipes up puddle of drool at her feet*

Very, very beautiful. But definitely out of my league. I'm surprised to see what look to be machine made screws in the one photo. I'm wondering if that was a later repair?

I hate to keep referring people off-site, but I'm going to have to defer to John and Eugene at http://www.chineseantiquefurnitureshop.com/videos.html Drop them an email, I'm sure they can give you a much better assessment than I could, they've been very helpful to me.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

massdog69

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2009, 08:03:34 am »
Well, I dropped them an email.....lets see what they say!

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2009, 10:14:46 am »
Welcome to the forum , massdog69 .

I have an opinion , for your consideration , concerning the small dragon-motif table you posted an image of .

To me , this motif appears to be a Suijin (Japanese water-god dragon) ... the dragons on the piece appear to all be three-toed dragons .
Japanese dragons of the era of the piece of furniture , almost without exception , would have only 3 toes .

Although fairly uncommon in Chinese dragon motifs ,  3 toe dragons were used , but most commonly were 4 or even 5 toe motif .

The three-toed dragon is an indicator of the origin of this piece might just well be Japan , not China .
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

massdog69

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2009, 12:31:22 pm »
I will do a bit of searching online for japanese furniture and see if I can find a match. Thanks for your input!

massdog69

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2009, 01:02:53 pm »
Fancypants you saved my day! For some reason I didn't think the furniture would be Japanese. I didn't think that Japanese used the dragon as much as the Chinese, I also didn't think they used the square symbols on the seat bottom. I have found several different chairs on the net that look almost exactly the same. Some are even selling for $5000. Won't the school be pleased HA!

THANKS AGAIN!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2009, 10:41:06 am »
Just got a reply from my friend.....here is their response

Chinese pieces !!!
It is hard to tell because Chinese furniture has so many reproduction pieces, but if it is original, it will be after 18c...  because beforeward most of chinese furniture are simple form design...   Or it could be around chinese culture country like Mongolia... believe so.

Hard to tell without close up.  Firsts look like reprodutions. (meaning first 2)
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2009, 08:32:25 pm »
Sounds like a wrasslin' match in the makin' !
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

massdog69

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2009, 10:53:47 am »
From what I have found they are Japanese from the Meiji period (pre 1900). Not very many of the same on the internet however.
Thanks again for all the help everyone.