Author Topic: SILVERPLATE MARKINGS? photo added  (Read 2338 times)

dhoppy

• View Profile
SILVERPLATE MARKINGS? photo added
« on: October 08, 2009, 08:47:25 pm »
I have a small dish and i can't seem to find the markings  F.S. inside a shield, also a crown and I think it looks like a knights head with 5th Avenue on top any ideas?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 06:00:17 pm by dhoppy »

syl

• View Profile
Re: SILVERPLATE MARKINGS?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 09:39:44 pm »
The best idea would be to supply a photo.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Re: SILVERPLATE MARKINGS? photo added
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 09:48:33 pm »
    Wow, Intresting marks, have looked around my books and sites I know and have come up empty too.  It could be a silverplater that bought un plated items and plated it themselves.  This was not uncommon in the late 19th and early 20th century, and are one of the many unknown markings out there.  I did go though a couple of sites and even looked into the unidentified.  I will keep this mark in mind and when searching out marks I will keep my eyes peeled.  I have a few items that I have still not be able to place.  Or maybe someone else may know those marks or have better searching skill then I.  Is it possible to see a pic of the item? Style may give clues, or at least help place a date.

dhoppy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 10:18:35 pm »
THANKS I WILL ALSO KEEP LOOKING . THIS IS ALL NEW TO ME BUT I HAVE SEEN ALOT OF MARKINGS AND SOOO MUCH MORE TO SEE AND LEARN THANKS FOR YOUR HELP

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2009, 06:24:06 am »
I found brief references to a Fifth Avenue Silver Company, Taunton MA (est. 1948-50) ?

Replacements Ltd. also has a page for them.......unfortun ately nothing available at present.

http://www.replacements.com/silver/FIV.htm