Author Topic: J and G Meakin Henley England China set called"Chicago" any info please  (Read 3393 times)

brandyla

• View Profile
I am looking for any info on a  few peices from china set that i just bought itis a J and G Meakin "Chicago". i know that it was made in Henley England.. I just want to know if any one can tell me where to go to see about what year they was made in.. The guy i bought them from said 1890's but im not sure, and i would like to find out more about them

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Re: J and G Meakin Henley England China set called"Chicago" any info please
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 01:07:52 pm »
Could you post pics of the items including the marks on the back?

syl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 08:10:18 pm »
Try going to Replacements.com and see what you can find.

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 10:51:31 pm »
A little bit of history on the company.  Paragraph 4 may help with your identification of a time frame.

http://www.rubylane.com/shops/karenslittleredwagon/item/A04181119

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 11:11:17 pm »
Here is a guide to Meakin marks with corresponding dates:

http://www.thepotteries.org/mark/m/meakin_jg.html

brandyla

• View Profile
Could you post pics of the items including the marks on the back?

Ok i now have pics of the China set and i would like to see how i can see what its worth too

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
    Have found a few reference on the net to this pattern.  Replacements has it listed but none are available.  Ruby Lane has a 12" Platter going for $24.00.  So we have a pattern that has little availability, Nice Pattern almost call it semi-fancy.  This in it self will limit the collector base on these items.  Meakin has good name this will help.  With the hallmark we know it is post 1890, doesn't help too much.  I would say you are looking at a Post 20's, Pre 40's pattern, again this is a guess.  Platter at $24.00, Platters being usually mid collectible level, (dinner plate low, Tea cup High).  Dinner plate $5 to Teacup $30.00.  Would gamble it to be a slow market mover, but would move.  Keep in mind this would be items in excellent condition, damage, chips and etc.  about 25% of value.  the only other comment I would add is the guy who sold them to you said 1890, that is when this stamp was beginning to be used and could and most likely much later.

brandyla

• View Profile
ok Thank You for the Info.. we only paid 40.00 for the set ..but some peices are missing..so i think we did good