Author Topic: Little antique leftovers  (Read 3132 times)

regularjoe2

• View Profile
Little antique leftovers
« on: November 07, 2009, 07:20:06 pm »
Here's a couple of old cufflinks in 14k ; moonstone & moss agate .... got them in a "Tiffany lot" at a recent auction , along with a bunch of non-Tif stuff included in the bag (gold,silv,plat & some costume) .

Sold the Tif stuff in N.Y. City , but I just liked these little guys (non-Tif) & wanted to keep them .

Not too sure how they'll look on my sweatshirts .....

Old Gillette G.P. shaving kit was willed to me last month from a friend & just happened to be in the pic .

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
Re: Little antique leftovers
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 01:34:06 am »
Cool shaving kit. Any idea on the approximate age?
If you have time could you snap a closer up picture to look at?

Really nice to see these old sets that make today's razors look characterless and without any style what so ever.

At a flee market I  saw an awesome straight razor set (wood cased w/ 7 different razors for each day of the week) maker marked with etching and gilting on the blades and mother of pearl grip plates.
It was very reasonably priced too.

What happened to all this beautiful stying and class in this day and age?
Guess we've reached the peak years ago and have been on the way down ever since.
Something to marvel at though.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 09:57:02 am »
Nice links and shave set.  The days of glamor and savoir-faire!

Still have my dads shave set (not an elaborate as yours) and my moms brass razor.  It's what I started with...

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 10:55:04 am »
RegularJoe I had to Chuckle to my self. you are the Man, what better place to sell then New York City. Like the razor set my self. I'am not sure you can still buy a shirt for cuff link's ?

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2009, 08:35:04 pm »
Thanks for the comments , fellas .

Dean - I'll post another pic of the shave kit & a little about it's history on Tuesday this week (it is somewhat unlike any I've found so far , so I won't comment on age yet) .

KC - I started with the old 'safety razors' too ... it's so cool that you've still got your original !

D&b - Sold on the 'Upper $ side of NYC' ... made $5.2k after expenses (trip & hot dog included) & had a Nathan's dog for a snack .
Visited Twin Towers site too .
Although they're not my choice , tuxedos still come with cuff-linkable sleeved shirts (no frilly ones , please ....) .

O.K. ... a penguin joke >

One penguin turns to the other & says "You look like you're wearing a tuxedo !" ...

The other one says "Who says I'm not ?" .

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2009, 12:50:06 am »
Some of us like frilly tuxes... LOL
Antiqueaholic in recovery

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009, 06:33:20 pm »
Here's the additional images of the shaving kit ... was hip-deep in work , so it's posted a day later than I said (sorry) .

Razor is 3 3/16" , fully assembled (reads : REG.U.S.  PAT.OFF. , Gillette , MADE IN U.S.A.) .
Small box is for holding razor blades (reads : Gillette , made in U.S.A. , KNOWNTHE WORLDOVER) .

The nomenclature of the razor handle has got me stumped on it's age , since I've not found another in G. Plate exactly like it .

The shaving kit was carried by an American train engineer , in the U.S. & Canada , while riding the rails .
It was one of his favorite possessions .
When he retired from the railroad (1978), he retired this kit too ; it hasn't been used since .

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2009, 11:03:38 pm »
There's something extra special about these items and their history that are graciously left to you by someone who you knew or had something in common with.

Sounds like the guy loved the job and that sort of life. 
It's kind of cool how he retired this special razor when he stopped working.
Imagine this nice set must of brought him a sense of sophistication while on the job.

Too bad these kind of things that are willed lose a bit of the personal side of it's history just about every time they change hands.

I'd try to make sure the memory value isn't superseded by the $$$ value whenever it changes hands again.

Any photo's of your friend with a few notes of his railroad history on back that might be added to this would sure give it a nice touch when it gets passed on once again.

Great this is in appreciative hands now.Thanks for sharing the story on it.

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2009, 12:04:42 am »
Thank you for your comments , Dean .

The rest of the personal story goes something like :

After he 'retired' he spent the rest of his life as a philantropist and educator dedicated to social causes for those less fortunate in life - station than he .

This little kit was the symbol of him passing on this , his most personal torch , to me .

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2009, 09:23:28 am »
Sounds like a movie....A big ornate "The End" shows on the screen with majestic movies music....the curtains close on the stage and lights slowly brighten!!!

You do have a talent for writing rj2!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!