Author Topic: Antique Microscope  (Read 1966 times)

blinder

• View Profile
Antique Microscope
« on: November 12, 2009, 02:47:17 pm »
This is an old Bausch & Lomb microscope, useful for examination of textiles, stamps, coins, documents, etc.  It includes a fitted wood carrying box (6.5 x 5 x 6.5"), two interchangeable lenses (7x & 19 mm), and 2 attachable stage extenders.  The lenses are not on a barrel (as in traditional microscopes) but fit in a loop at the top.  Can anyone date it? Give it the appropriate name? Recommend buyers?

jondar

• View Profile
Re: Antique Microscope
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 12:39:30 pm »
Blinder - I think Ebay would be your best bet if you want to sell it.  From your description it appears to be a low power microscope with two different powers.  Ebay has many many antique microscopes for sale.  Some bring large amounts, others not.  The regular antique microscopes with powers up to X1000 bring on an average $50 - $100 dollars.  Yours looks like a specialized type and may bring more.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 04:22:58 pm »
Don't believe it is an antique (over 100 years old) but may be from 90's.  Agree to try ebay.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 12:55:53 pm »
Hang on a sec... Bausch and Lomb was manufacturing microscopes beginning in 1876. Perhaps a clue would be to look at the construction of the storage box. I don't think they would have made a wooden box for a microscope in 1990 at least not one that seems to be pretty rudimentary for that era, since it doesn't look to be a high-powered magnification. But the curving feet look more modern. Maybe this dates to the 1940's? Just a guess on my part, but I just don't see this company doing wooden boxes much after WWII. Anyone care to correct me or comment on that?
Antiqueaholic in recovery

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 01:11:01 pm »
Viola! I found it! Here is a very similar Bausch and Lomb microscope that the owner dated to 1931. I think this one is like yours. Aren't those the handrests in the box?

http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/indexmag.html?http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/artmar99/scopebl.html
Antiqueaholic in recovery