Author Topic: Cast iron stove; books  (Read 2361 times)

snuggles

• View Profile
Cast iron stove; books
« on: November 15, 2009, 08:41:27 am »
Located in Alabama. Does anyone know of a dealer who would be interested in buying a cast iron stove, 1852? What would be a good price? Also, have old books from 1800's? Any dealers in Alabama or surrounding states that buy?

railman44

• View Profile
Re: Cast iron stove; books
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 11:01:56 am »
I've found most old wood burning stoves have been restored by dealers reselling them.  Restoration is very time consuming and is reflected in the end buy price.  Your stove is very interesting but what shape is the bottom in?  I would think if there is no serious rust, a fair price to a dealer would be in the neighborhood of about $300-400.  The dealer will want to at least double his money if serious restoration is not needed.  It will be interesting what others say. 

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 01:18:17 pm »
A coat of Stove Black and a good rubbing is about all it would take to restore it. Unless the grate is missing from it.

snuggles

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 08:34:05 pm »
Grate is intact, bottom of stove is intact. Any dealers in Alabama? What about book dealers?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 08:36:52 pm by snuggles »

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 06:19:16 am »
Run a "For Sale" ad in your local paper. Those stoves are not only decorative but are functional and come in mighty handy when there is a power outage. But a $3 coating of Stove Blacking will increase its value by $100.

Skinny

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 06:36:26 am »
If you could up load one or two pictures of your books, tell how many of thm you have and a bit more about them etc, then I might be able to give you some good advise on how best to sell them.

railman44

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 06:44:33 am »
Cogar is right.  If bought for decorative purposes, it will most likely be bought by a woman or couple.  The cleaner it looks, the easier the sell to the female part of the equation.  A lot depends on your Alabama location too.  The closer you are to Montgomery or Birmingham the better your chances.  I would also run an ad in the Atlanta Constitution.  I know if I didn't live so far, I'd take a serious look at it.