Author Topic: What are these creepy pottery heads???  (Read 959 times)

thatgeekgirl

• View Profile
What are these creepy pottery heads???
« on: November 20, 2009, 05:31:08 pm »
So my father, a long time antique collector, found a few of these antique pottery heads at an estate auction and has decided he would like to start a collection of them. Problem is, we have no idea what they are!! They are both about 6 to 8 inches in height, white ceramic or terra cotta type pottery, and have about a US quarter sized hole in the top of them- too small to be a planter, yet pottery seems to be too porous to act as a vase. They both seem to have "lines" where the hair area is- one seems to have a soda-jerk style hat on and the other looks like it at one point in time had a mustache. My dad thinks they may be characterizations of people from the WWII era, maybe used in some kind of display or something. The only lead I have had is this ebay auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260506431999&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123 where the seller said it was some kind of "chia pet" kind of planter.  I contacted the seller and they were not really sure of its purpose since it is the only one they have ever encountered. 

We are not really sure the country of origin, but my father found two in Ohio and the other seems to be from Colorado. Again, my guess would be USA from the WWII era, but I have no idea. If anyone has any ideas or leads on these, I would greatly appreciate it.  On a side note, I plan on posting some pictures once my dad sends them, so I apologize to anyone in advance if they cannot view the above listed ebay auction. :D Thanks!!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: What are these creepy pottery heads???
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 08:13:47 pm »
Really neat!  But I don't believe chia pets or people were around that long!  LOL

Post some pics and we will do our best to help you out!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!