Author Topic: Weird chair with carvings  (Read 2205 times)

thayla

• View Profile
Weird chair with carvings
« on: November 18, 2009, 08:03:43 pm »
I posted this before but didn't get any responses. So I am trying again. The person who sold me this chair thought it was from 1870 or so and described it as a lodge chair. He had no other information on it. It has a number of carvings and some applique. The applique carving at the bottom of the chair appears to be the north wind. At the top of the chair, there are two dragons and two other male faces with fruit coming out of their mouths. The carvings at the top appear to be handmade. I don't know about the applique work at the bottom. It also has some sort of crest. The seat has been redone. I am guessing it was originally leather.

So here are my question. What was its use? How old might it be? Where would it have come from? Who might have used it? What do the carvings symbolize? What about its value?  

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!

fancypants

• View Profile
Re: Weird chair with carvings
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 09:05:05 pm »
The fruit-spouting fellows are known as 'Green Men' from celtic/english folklore , with a variety of symbolic meanings .
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

Tim

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 04:06:12 pm »
Do a Google search of R. J. Horner furniture. He made parlor furniture as this with the gargoyles and griffins, northwind etc. Also Robert Mitchell........... ..........not that yours is but it does resemble their work. You might at least answer some of your questions, as in Roman parlor chair, 1890, and value...

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 09:14:15 am »
The chair speaks Quality, could be a Horner.... it need's a hands on inspection.reproduc tion's like it are being made & sell in the $300.00 Dollar range.

thayla

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 08:11:08 pm »
Thank you, Tim. I looked up Homer and Mitchell. Stunning work. I don't have a clue if this chair is made by them. But yes, R&B, it is worthy of being checked by an expect. It has the cracks and wear that one would expect from an antique. I really treasure it and value any information that I can gather. Thank you very much.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 08:14:24 pm »
Totally agree that you need it eyed by an expert! 
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!