Author Topic: Yankoware pottery  (Read 4381 times)

othman

• View Profile
Yankoware pottery
« on: November 27, 2009, 08:54:01 pm »
I have searched all over the Internet for several years, but I cannot find historical information on this company. I have 2 flower vases from Yankoware. One of them belonged to my grandmother, and the other one was purchased on Ebay. The flowers are a very distinct style. Any information you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: Yankoware pottery
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 10:23:13 pm »
Well, I too was unable to find specific information on the company, but looking at listings for Yankoware items that are currently up for sale, I was able to determine a few things. It is Japanese company. All the listings I saw said "Japan" and not "Nippon". Using the name Japan would be post-1921. All the listings I saw said the pieces dated to the 1930's or 1940's. So that at least may help to date your piece. I would guess that they were not exporting to the US during WWII and may have gone out of business at that time. But that is conjecture on my part. Hopes this helps to start the ball rolling. Photos would be a big help though.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 12:13:14 am »
   It is possible that Yankoware was a export company in japan post war.  Personally never heard the name before but if they are japan the Yankoware would kinda make since.  There was many companies at the post war setting up shop in japan to help stimulate there economy.  Not really sure about this but with what tales found it would kind of make since.

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 09:41:00 am »
I suspect if we did some head scratching. we would discover :D yankoware is nothing more than and off spring, of Banko ware.

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 10:00:26 am »
Same-ish results here , on Yankoware .

The only 'Yanko' I know of in Japan is a very small island (Yank-ko , or Yan-ko) that Japan & Korea have been in conflict over for quite some time .

As an aside from all of this , the Urban Dictionary defines 'yanko' as something like :
"someone who has no ideas and refuses to accept ideas from others" .

:D :D
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 12:05:44 pm by fancypants »
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 11:58:29 am »
LOL Fancypants, once again I've learned another highly useful bit of information!!!
Antiqueaholic in recovery