Author Topic: Can someone ID this watch and give me a price range please?  (Read 1318 times)

HankTMan

• View Profile
Can someone ID this watch and give me a price range please?
« on: December 07, 2009, 06:31:43 pm »
Got this at an estate sale and I'm not really a collector.  Local jeweler doesn't have time to check it out until after the Holidays.  He said take it to an antique dealer.  I will do this but thought I'd try this forum in the meantime.

I know it's art deco, got diamonds on it and the band is probably after-market.  There are no words or identifying marks on it anywhere (except on the clasp - which I cannot read.)  Not sure what the watch body is made out of but I'm assuming white gold or platinum.  I'm too scared to open it up to check for identifying marks in the mechanism because I want to be sure someone who knows what they're doing handles that job. 

Having a hard time getting good pics but here are three:

Any help or info I can get would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

railman44

• View Profile
Re: Can someone ID this watch and give me a price range please?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 06:56:04 pm »
As you probably know it's a womans wrist watch.  If you're not comfortable removing the rear portion of the case then leave it for the jeweler.  Take it to another jeweler and find out if the stones are indeed diamonds.  A competent jeweler can tell you in seconds using a loop.  If the stones are paste or glass, the chances the movement is quality dims considerably.  If the dial doesn't indicate a maker that too dims the chances of the movement being of quality.  If the case were platinum or white gold, it should say so (i.e. solid gold or K).  In the pocket watch world there are watches called 'dollar watches'.  These were cheaply made for the people who couldn't afford a quality pocket watch.  I don't know but I suspect the same exists for wrist watches.

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 07:13:15 pm »
I have to agree with Railman. I'am not seeing, to much here in watch value.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 07:27:50 pm »
Have one that looks like it in my stockpile of old family watches  - except the band is silver metallic.  Brand new this sold in the high $80's - late  middle to late 1970's.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!