Author Topic: Save from garbage day  (Read 3320 times)

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
Save from garbage day
« on: November 27, 2009, 09:31:56 pm »
I found this stuff in a cardboard box with a mixture of other things and inquired about them and the owner said they were going to the curb on garbage day.
Was wondering if anyone knows something on them?

The candy dish looks like it has a crown or maybe a W on the base and is tough to see with white on white.

Pencil Holder has a G with what appears to be a elaborate I going through it.

Flowered vase has Avon on the base.

Cast Iron candle holders have Wilton marked on back of wings.

The cleaned silver (YUK) has 3 markings looking like 1)A lion with paw extended 2)An Anchor 3)A G

Thanks for any help.

1st link is the grouping. 2nd is close up of silver candle holders.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d155/coreydamnperdue/IMG_1193-1.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d155/coreydamnperdue/IMG_1194.jpg
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 09:34:09 pm by Dean Perdue »

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Re: Save from garbage day
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 12:07:55 am »
Nice find Dean, Wow really nice find.  The Three is milk glass, The candy dish, pencil holder and the Avon.  Not sure yet about the markings but will poke around a bit tomorrow.  The candy dish if in excellent condition could be worth a bit, like around 20 to 30 dollars. looks kinda like diamond quild but different then I have seen before.  The pencil holder look kinda like Lace, but again a bit different.  As for the Avon item well would look good on your shelf, Avon does have some collectabliity but for real low.   Wilton was known most for their Armalite metal, and did some silverplate, did not know they did Iron too.  However the real score is the Gorham sterling.  It is weighted so the weight is not pure silver, but Gorham being a sought after name in sterling and silverplate. I would say you scored pretty good on this garbage.  I am really intrested in finding out about the milk glass item the Candy dish and Pencil holder.     

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 02:08:24 am »
Thank you Ironlord.I thought some of these items were in your area of expertise.

I'll post the marking of the pencil holder when the site's back up. As for the candy dish it's tough to see the mark so a photo won't work.Maybe I'll try to run something dark over it to see if it makes it come out more.

Do you have any guesses on the age of the milkware?

I guess I'm not too surprised about the Avon not being too collectable but I thought it was really cool on how it shows different flowers all the way around instead of the same repeating pattern.

Not the find of a lifetime,but I couldn't beleive the guy was throwing this stuff out.
I guess that makes me a garbage picker now. :-\

As always I appreciate your input.

railman44

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 02:52:00 am »
Who in their right mind would toss something that said sterling? ???

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 03:08:29 am »
Funny thing  Railman44 is the dude's a CPA who goes around picking up pennies off the ground and doing super crazy stuff to save a dime.
This is a guy who burned up a lawnmower motor trying to mulch leaves so he wouldn't have to buy bags for them.
I told him "aren't those silver" and he looked at the markings on bottom then loaded me up.
I think it would kill him (no joke) to see the stuff had any value.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 03:59:34 am by Dean Perdue »

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 05:38:19 am »
The candy dish looks like it has a crown or maybe a W on the base and is tough to see with white on white.

If it is a W with a G on top of it then it is Westmoreland.

Pencil Holder has a G with what appears to be a elaborate I going through it.

That would be the Imperial Glass logo.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2009, 07:16:18 pm »
I track down the pattern names of the two Milk glass pieces.  The candy dish is called a Sawtooth by Westmoreland made between 1960 and 1984.  The Compote a.k.a. Pencil holder is made by Imperial in the lace edge pattern made between 1953 and 1960.

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2009, 09:04:56 pm »
Thanks for the info and your time.
Is this kind of thing still being manufactured these days and is any glass this color considered Milkware?

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2009, 11:37:04 pm »
Yes Milk Glass is basically white Glass.  It has been made from the early 19th century until today.  Lots of milk glass is out there, very little Milk glass that would be considered as pre Depression is left, most of the milk glass is modern or vintage.  Westmoreland is a big name in the modern milk glass, that is post depression.  There are many collectors of milk glass so the value is moderate on this color.   I can usually pick up milk glass for a few bucks at rummage sales and thrift store, but kinda hard to sell.  So much exsist and collectors look for those rare and unusual items.  I think you westmoreland candy dish would have little problem selling at the $25.00 to $30.00 range, good candy dishes seem to move.

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2009, 02:34:36 am »
Thank you.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2009, 12:17:19 pm »
Great finds!  His loss...your gain!

Funny how we all try and save money and do well some ways...and really mess up others!

Still can't believe he threw it away even after he saw sterling on it!  Maybe he has some bad mojo with it!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

jondar

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2009, 07:20:41 am »
Dean,
I bought a sterling money clip off Ebay that had the hallmarks of a lion with extended paw and the anchor.  Turned out to be the Gorham hallmark.