Author Topic: Something to Share on Chair Repair  (Read 1056 times)

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Something to Share on Chair Repair
« on: December 11, 2009, 11:17:55 pm »
I thought I would pass along something that worked really well for me on a minor chair repair. One of the spreaders on my ladder back rocker was loose, and kept backing out of its hole in the rocker leg. I tried using wood glue, and it would hold for a couple of days and then come loose again, because the connection between the two parts had worn down.

I resolved the problem by using a product called Gorilla Glue. It did the trick in this case because the glue expands as it dries, like spray foam insulation. It also has an extremely strong bond. It worked very well on the loose spreader. I have also used it on other items including gluing unlike materials together that are out in the weather and it has held firm for years. (I had a little garden statue on a stump that the neighborhood kid kept stealing, and this did the trick!)

Things to watch out for are that it is a permanent bond. It would be extremely difficult to take apart if you had a change of heart for any reason. You also have to be sure to wipe or peel off the excess glue around the join as it is drying, because the glue does ooze out the gaps as it is drying.

Just thought I would pass that along in case it might be useful to someone.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

regularjoe2

• View Profile
Re: Something to Share on Chair Repair
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 12:31:55 am »
Yep , that monkey glue is tough stuff .

It's also safer than the formaldehyde dry-mix 'we' used to use .