Author Topic: Need info on this water pitcher  (Read 1889 times)

cogar

• View Profile
Need info on this water pitcher
« on: December 14, 2009, 08:15:27 am »
What can anyone tell me about this water pitcher.

It is listed in an auction for this Thursday, 17th, and the wife really likes the look of it but she doesn't know if its new or old, what it might be worth or anything else about it other than what can be seen by the picture. Any help would be appreciated to keep her from guessing when the "bidding" starts.

D&b antiques

• View Profile
Re: Need info on this water pitcher
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 10:28:26 am »
Unadentified & were seeing, one view. $30.00 or so.

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 05:44:51 pm »
It does appear to be a thrown pot , from your image .

My guess is that you might find the potters' sig scratched in the clay of the base .

Not enough data to really tell much (i.e. - is the image of the undamaged side , etc, etc) , as D&b stated .

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 11:36:42 am »
Looking at the ash tray beside of it I probably should have called it a “cream pitcher”.

Anyway, there is something about it that intrigues me. #1, the color of the inside, #2, the blue decoration on it appears to be maybe a “bird” and #3, ….. when I look at it I can almost see  “Majolica” written on it.  ;D ;D

And I say that because me thinks that "stuff" belongs to a collector because there is probably way over 100 pieces of Jewel Tea, a few pieces of Jadite and Fireking in that auction.

Here, you looky at it: 
http://www.auctionzip.com/cgi-bin/photopanel.cgi?listingid=750014&category=0&zip=&kwd=

waywardangler

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 11:50:56 am »
I am not a pottery person but from looking at the auctionzip pic, I can tell it is as large as that porcelain coffeee pot behind it so I do think it is a pitcher and not a creamer.  I can see three darker areas on the pitcher; one on the handle, one just below the rim, and one below the spout.  These lead me to believe these are flakes or chips on the surface.  If these are there, I might also assume there are hairlines and a crazed finish.  I hope you are going to the auction and will be able to examine this pitcher in person.  I wish you well.  Set a limit, bid up to it, and try not to get caught up in auction fever.  Looks like some interesting items on the bill.  Enjoy the day.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 12:30:57 pm »
Thanks Wayward, I posted the picture just to see if anyone recognized the shape, style, etc. One never knows what will show up in an auction or garage sale .... when ya least expect it. The wife has a Majolika "Cauliflower" sugar bowl that she found sitting on a garage sale table with a $5 price tag on it.

If the wife goes to the auction I'm sure it will be scrutinized pretty closely. Chips, flakes or cracks don’t really bother me iffen I really know what it is, like a piece of Tennerton glass. Never seen a piece of it with a tiny chip, flake or crack in it. ;D Iffen ya get my drift. And dats because its about as scarce as hens teeth. I’ve only ever owned 1 piece of it, a toothpick holder, and it’s still sitting in on a kitchen shelf.

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 12:54:03 pm »
it's appealing to the eye.And yes it may be Majolica.