Author Topic: Wahoo Bitters Sign  (Read 1685 times)

MandG

• View Profile
Wahoo Bitters Sign
« on: February 15, 2010, 11:41:38 am »
My husband and I were given this wooden sign with a large Indian head on the front and it's advertising Wahoo Bitters.  It stands about 3 feet tall and it's about 4.5" thick.  We know that it was purchased from an antique dealer on Long Island back in the 80s.  But in researching it online we have come up with nothing on signage (we found alot of bottles).  We were wondering about the value of the sign?  I appreciate any feedback, thank you for your time.
Morgan

Per your request...I have uploaded a few more pictures and while I was investigating the piece a little more, I notice a few fixes on it.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 03:07:31 pm by MandG »

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: Wahoo Bitters Sign
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 11:55:41 am »
Can you post some detailed photos of the back side, and anything showing the construction of the sign, especially any hardware that is back there? Also the sides, since it is 4.5" thick. Thanks! Any up-close photos you can provide of nails, screws etc. would help.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

GeorgeS

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 12:03:28 pm »
I have never seen a Wahoo Bitters sign, but I recently saw a Wahoo Bitters bottle sell for around $500- if that's any indication of the value.

luxetveritas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 02:47:29 pm »
Yup, I found a few bottles online, but not a sign. My guess is maybe $70? I'm not a big sign guy, this is just my best estimate.

MandG

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 03:13:30 pm »
I posted a few more up close photos of the back and an exposed nail.  I hope this helps.

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 05:20:23 pm »
What's interesting, is the Board on the back to my right. the light one is often attributed to water damage. the sign as whole looks to be 1930's. Conservatively. I would put a value of $350.00 Dollars.

waywardangler

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 01:56:34 am »
This is a neat looking sign, but to me, it appears to be a 'new' sign made with old boards.  Looking at the back of the sign at the edges of the rounded boards, I see fresher (lighter) edges next to very old oxidized wood.  On an old sign, I would expect all of the edges to be very oxidized and not have the light, fresh ripped edge look.  The top right board exhibits this difference the best.  I think this may have been made up using old barn boards.  Just my opinion judging from the photos provided.  It is also odd that a sign for Wahoo Bitters would not state the maker's name and city.  Also odd are all the nail holes in the back that serve no purpose in this sign but probably did when the boards were nailed on the original building they came from.