Author Topic: It's not antique but is it collectible?  (Read 2063 times)

hosman321

• View Profile
It's not antique but is it collectible?
« on: February 22, 2010, 03:32:19 am »
I have had this big heavy coin since I was about 10. I always thought it was money from Egypt. But now that I'm an adult I know that it's not. I also always thought it was iron because it's so heavy but a magnet does not stick to it. I have searched online for days and cannot find anything about it. I think it may be a military challenge coin from a mission in Egypt. It reminds me of my husband's challenge coins. Anybody collect coins or military stuff? Ever seen this coin? I know it's not antique but you guys are the best fact-finders and sources of info I know! I know it's not worth much, but I'd love to sell it to someone who was in this particular mission and would like to have the coin, if that's what it really is. I just looked in my coin collection tub for the first time since I was 10 and I don't really have any particular attachment to this, I only want to keep the old coins. Thanks!

By the way, my camera makes it look like it's made of gold but it's not. It's more of a gold/silver color.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 03:34:56 am by hosman321 »

Gizmo

• View Profile
Re: It's not antique but is it collectible?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 05:59:14 am »
I'm not 100% sure, but this article might have something to do with your coin.

http://kynghistory.ky.gov/NR/rdonlyres/FC0CC54B-3150-4DEA-B719-42AE33350DB1/0/cargofeb99.pdf

It's about the 1994 Egyptian paratroopers and operation Iron Cobra which seems to have taken place in '99.

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 06:09:52 am »
Thank you for finding that Gizmo, I hadn't found that article yet. I did just find another small article about there being multiple Iron Cobra missions in Egypt but now I lost it. Maybe I'll list it somewhere and get a few dollars out of it. I just wanted to know what the heck it was first!

Gizmo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 06:20:41 am »
It's a fun find, and I'm sure it would thrill someone who was involved to see the coin. Good luck!

Texasbadger

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 06:44:54 am »
Yep a "Challenge Coin" they have interesting history
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Challenge_coin

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 02:12:43 pm »
Curious to see if my uncle's squadron had one.  Gonna do some asking around!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 05:53:34 pm »
Looks to be a challenge coin from the 1994 'Iron Cobra' multinational exercise in Cairo , Egypt , alright .

You could do a search of the name "Pete Self" (an air traffic controller) who was there (and add the search term(s) '1994 Iron Cobra , Cairo , Egypt' ) - in the event you'd like to contact someone who was present for the operation .

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 07:03:39 pm »
Nice....RegJoe!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!