Author Topic: Chinese rice cake molds ?  (Read 2092 times)

OLDZ06

• View Profile
Chinese rice cake molds ?
« on: February 27, 2010, 10:08:04 am »
Are certain ones more collectable then others. I have 3 of these. I know they are old probably late 1800's if my reasearch is correct. I know they are not real valuable but they sure look like they took a lot of work to make back in the day. These are made very thick and are very smooth and worn down.

Chinese Antique Furniture

• View Profile
    • Chinese Antique Furniture Shop
Re: Chinese rice cake molds ?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 10:52:42 am »
Probably not too old, but darn nice ones.

The fish is a carp.  It symbolizes patience and endurance particular in the struggle to pass examinations and thereby achieve wealth through rank.

The flower will definitely have some symbolic meaning.  My problem is that I don't know the name of the flower, but if you do, it's easy to learn its symbolism. The lotus stands for progeny or uprightness, the chrysanthemum stands for longevity or endurance.  My guess is that the flower is one of these two.

The middle one has some calligraphy in the center.  I can't see it adequately, but it probably is either the longevity character or the "good fortune character"

OLDZ06

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 11:08:06 am »
Well then maybe they are good to have around  ;D  Funny I thought the carp was a seal.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 12:29:15 pm »
Nice molds!  FYI - you start out wetting your mold before your put in your sticky rice/sugary mixture so that it will release easily after it sets.  This is why wood is so good for this!

Just for information....I love this site:
http://www.cookieboard.com/Home%20Pages/Mistakes.html
and a little more on the rice molds
http://www.cookieboard.com/Home%20Pages/Rice.html

Often mistaken for butter molds - but the site above helps point out the difference.  Love this site as well about butter molds these people have come up with as well as other dairy collectibles:
http://dairyantiques.com/Butter_Molds.html
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 12:40:37 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

OLDZ06

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 12:49:41 pm »
Yes I have seen this that site,some good info. I think I have a couple of those German butter molds that are similar to the ones on that site. I always though they were American. Seems like everything came from Germany first.

This one here is large and made out of a different type of wood and has a handle. Its must be the heavy duty version back in its day.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 10:26:28 pm »
Really like your molds.

I remember my mom/grandmothers had butter molds.  We didn't have lots of money and this was one of the ways they felt "special" for having folks over to eat - by having molded butters!

Wish I had them now.  Don't know what happened to them.

Do still have the butter pat maker and use it!!!

« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 10:39:34 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 11:45:54 pm »
Beautiful molds!

Gung hay fat choy! (Happy lunar new year!) And greetings from the Chinese New Year Parade in San Francisco! :D
Antiqueaholic in recovery