Author Topic: Spanish Style / English Cabinet Need Help Identifying !  (Read 2634 times)

tntelle

• View Profile
Spanish Style / English Cabinet Need Help Identifying !
« on: March 05, 2010, 09:17:10 pm »
Greeting! I came across a unique piece of furniture for sale, something like I have never seen before.
It appears to be some sort of old dresser. There is no information about the prior owner that I have found yet, the piece was acquired from an estate sale from an old mansion in a historic area of town. I would appreciate it greatly if anybody who can give insight into what it actually is and might be worth I can provide more information or pictures, just let me know what is needed!

I did not take measurements yet, it is probably about 7 feet high and 10 feet wide, it comes apart in differnet sections and opens up three ways - the two side cabinets and the middle one the stained glass crest is attached to

Thank you!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Spanish Style / English Cabinet Need Help Identifying !
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 02:09:52 pm »
Hi tntelle!

This isn't a dresser!

See lots of these items imported from Europe into the US over the years - but not all at one time mind you.  Seen a few in this style.  

If you take a close look you can see the table place settings through the spindled openings.  This is a type of cupboard for holding china, tableware, and linens.  (Have also seen these for use as bars and huntboards.)

Would love to know what kind of carved feet this has.

Friends of mine used to import French furniture of all eras.  This is typical of the Renaissance Style that imported Roman influence as well as used cherubs/cupids.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 03:24:07 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

tntelle

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 09:33:43 pm »
Thanks for the info below! Here is a picture of one of the feet

Do you have any hunches on how old this could be and maybe what something like this would go for?

Thank you!

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 08:21:46 am »
Italian Renaissance. $2,500 to $3,000.00 Dollars.

tntelle

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 11:44:49 am »
Thank you for the information. Last question I have - is this a reproduction ? How can you tell ? There is obviously some natural wear such as separation in the wood, I do see that it has some wear issues and maybe some updated repairs - such as new hinges, new nails holding in loose crown but I also see some square nails on the inside. In general though if this were from say the 14th-16th century I would expect a higher quality looking material and construction.
Are there are any tips I could use to help identify age? Thank you for all your help!

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 04:12:01 pm »
it's hard to point out any one thing. it looks to be original to the period. restoration is to be expected. these are commonly known as '' Knock Down's due to the fact they disassemble.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 07:23:40 pm »
Take a pic of the side of a pulled out drawer!

Agree with D&b on value and Italian Renaissance.

Love the clawed feet!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

tntelle

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2010, 05:21:46 pm »
I made an apt with the St Louis Art Museum, and they helped me identify it as Spanish Renaissance Revival bookcase - looks like it was gutted and based on their databases had it been completely intact it would be worth around 3-6, but with it gutted and missing original fabrics etc probably not worth more than 800

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2010, 09:55:23 am »
Thanks for the update tntelle!  At least you found out about your piece!!!!!