Author Topic: English dining room inquiry  (Read 2962 times)

argentinegal

English dining room inquiry
« on: March 20, 2010, 11:18:54 am »
I bought this English dining room in Argentina, the table is extendable and it has 6 chairs, I paid a total of $215 dollars for the whole set. I've been doing a research and I believe this is of the Georgian style period (17th - early 18th century)  but then again I'm not sure since I'm not very familiar with antiques yet. I'd like to know its year and value (I know it's gotta cost way more than what I paid for it). :)

« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 05:54:05 am by argentinegal »

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: English dining room inquiry
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 11:30:21 am »
I'm not an expert, so let the others chime in on this, but your set looks to me as if it is machine manufactured, rather than handmade. The legs were turned on a lathe and my understanding of those is that although they were around for centuries, they were not in common use until the late 1800's. Also in the backs of the chairs, they look two perfectly symmetrical to be a handmade set. I also don't see a lot of signs of wear in places like the tops of the backs of the chair where hands would move them, and on the legs where they would get bumped around. It also looks pretty shiney, but that could be the flash. I would expect a dull glow from something very old. It's a beautiful set at a terrific price though! But I'm going to take a guess that it's a bit later, and I'm going to give myself a big range here because I'm learning and don't know what I'm doing yet, LOL! I'm going to say earliest 1890's and latest 1940's. Someone please pick up from here. I'm out on a limb! :-)
Antiqueaholic in recovery

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 01:54:55 pm »
Great work there talesof.

I am betting early 1900's. 

Nice set argentinagal!  You did good for that price!  Hope you enjoy it!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

argentinegal

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 06:07:52 am »
I'm not an expert, so let the others chime in on this, but your set looks to me as if it is machine manufactured, rather than handmade. The legs were turned on a lathe and my understanding of those is that although they were around for centuries, they were not in common use until the late 1800's. Also in the backs of the chairs, they look two perfectly symmetrical to be a handmade set. I also don't see a lot of signs of wear in places like the tops of the backs of the chair where hands would move them, and on the legs where they would get bumped around. It also looks pretty shiney, but that could be the flash. I would expect a dull glow from something very old. It's a beautiful set at a terrific price though! But I'm going to take a guess that it's a bit later, and I'm going to give myself a big range here because I'm learning and don't know what I'm doing yet, LOL! I'm going to say earliest 1890's and latest 1940's. Someone please pick up from here. I'm out on a limb! :-)

Thanks for your reply talesofthesevenseas! you're so nice :) I agree with you, it might be machine manufactured, but only some parts...the back of the chairs aren't quite perfectly symmetrical, the thing is you'd have to see it in person, the top of the backs are a little worn out, same as the top of the table which needs to be restored. I took the pics with my cell phone so it's hard not to miss those details. What I'd like to know is how much I would get if I were to sell it?

argentinegal

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 06:11:24 am »
Great work there talesof.

I am betting early 1900's. 

Nice set argentinagal!  You did good for that price!  Hope you enjoy it!

Thanks for the info KC! I know I got really lucky, I bought it at an auction...these people obviously have no idea of the value of this antique.

Chinese Antique Furniture

• View Profile
    • Chinese Antique Furniture Shop
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 09:32:55 am »
Great work, Tales!

I suspect that there are a very large number of "dining room sets" on the market that were made in the late 19Th early 20Th century.  The prices on these sets have been under pressure for some time, and they never seem to bring at auction, what one might expect.  Obviously that is good for the buyer but not the seller.  I would suspect (again with the caveat that I have not actually seen the furniture) would go O/A $500 for the complete set.  Indeed, I may be on the high side. Hope I'm wrong for your sake, Agentingal.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 10:48:40 am »
I'll be interested to hear what D&B has to say on this one, I always learn a lot from his furniture posts! Glad I could just start the ball rolling a bit. Thanks for the encouragement gang!

Sometimes it is hard to get those signs of wear to show up in photos, or the flash reflects in funny ways and makes things appear off as well. Lovely set you have there, and it is nice to be able to find things at bargain prices in this economy!

argentinegal

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 01:23:10 pm »
Great work, Tales!

I suspect that there are a very large number of "dining room sets" on the market that were made in the late 19Th early 20Th century.  The prices on these sets have been under pressure for some time, and they never seem to bring at auction, what one might expect.  Obviously that is good for the buyer but not the seller.  I would suspect (again with the caveat that I have not actually seen the furniture) would go O/A $500 for the complete set.  Indeed, I may be on the high side. Hope I'm wrong for your sake, Agentingal.

I respect your opinion but I know this set's gotta cost a least 2,000 dollars, look at this one on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Antique-Honey-Oak-Victorian-Dining-Room-Set-1900s-RARE_W0QQitemZ180481708383QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAntiques_Furniture?hash=item2a058c515f

argentinegal

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2010, 01:24:58 pm »
I'll be interested to hear what D&B has to say on this one, I always learn a lot from his furniture posts! Glad I could just start the ball rolling a bit. Thanks for the encouragement gang!

Sometimes it is hard to get those signs of wear to show up in photos, or the flash reflects in funny ways and makes things appear off as well. Lovely set you have there, and it is nice to be able to find things at bargain prices in this economy!

Thank you! I bet you have really nice things as well, you should come to Argentina one day, we could go shopping  :P

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2010, 01:34:43 pm »
LOL now that would be fun! ;D

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2010, 05:37:25 pm »
argentinagal, maybe I am missing something but all I see are pics of chairs.  Never of the table - which would need to be seen. 

The set you have is a very nice set that can be liked/used for a long time. 

The set that is on ebay is solid wood and includes a buffet. (I do believe they are on the high side on that pricing and hope they get it.)
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2010, 05:45:07 pm »
Try scrolling to the right on her first post. The images of the table are on the far right, but the thumbnails are lined up side-by-side so they may be going off your screen.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2010, 05:55:35 pm »
Thanks, you are so right talesof....they were trailing off.

Say the pic of the table.  Has some wear challenges on the top.  Still a nice set.

We do not know the value in Argentina of this set as we are in different areas.  I am in US/Texas and here your set would go for $350 - 375 on the average here.

We all try and give the going values in our areas and sometimes it makes people happy....and unfortunately, sometimes it hurts people's feelings.  Bottom line, buy what you like and love it for being yours.