Author Topic: Old Treasure chest, can anyone tell me about it?  (Read 1579 times)

XXavengeXX

• View Profile
Old Treasure chest, can anyone tell me about it?
« on: March 18, 2010, 01:06:00 pm »
i have no idea the value or what it is other then an old chest. Im looking to sell it so i don't want to sell it for a low price and then later realize it is worth way more. The compartment inside comes out. And the handles are made of leather. It is also made of tin and wood. There is paper on the inside. No markings. Except a 237 number on the bottom.

cogar

• View Profile
Re: Old Treasure chest, can anyone tell me about it?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 01:40:12 pm »
You have a "trunk", or sometimes called a "steamer trunk", and one that looks to be in excellent shape, too.

They were used for storing clothes, blankets, things of value, etc., and/or for travelling/vacationing, ..... the suitcases of old times.

Google Images - "trunk", to see different styles and sizes

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 04:21:14 pm »
XXavengeXX, you will likely find some info on your type of trunk and it's age at these sites......

http://www.thisoldtrunk.com/soldtrunks/index.html

http://www.brettunsvillage.com/trunks/

While the prices asked by dealers for restored trunks are very attractive keep in mind these are fully restored or close to mint condition.

It's hard to tell from your pics the exact condition of yours, but here are some trunks for sale privately in my area (NS)

$110.00

$125.00

$200.00  OBO

$200.00  1890's

Hope this helps out a bit.

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 04:26:21 pm »
One more site I forgot to include.........

http://www.trunksandtreasures.com/Trunkvalues.html

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 04:47:59 pm »
Also if you have any old shipping labels on it these can be of interest too. If you are leaving it unrestored, I would say leave the shipping labels on. They include dates and destinations that can be interesting! Train collectors like to see these.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

waywardangler

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 06:59:55 pm »
I am in the Midwest (Wisconsin) and I can buy these trunks for $50-60 in good condition.  Poor condition $20.  Quite common in these parts.  I bought one in excellent shape only because it was $25 at a rummage sale and later sold it for a small profit.  Now Norwegian rosemaled trunks are an entirely different matter and cost $$$ to $$$$.  Price on immigrant trunks depends on your market, so I would check around to see what they sell for in your area.  What they sell for and what is asked are two different things.