Author Topic: Craigslist find- sterling teapot  (Read 1773 times)

luxetveritas

• View Profile
Craigslist find- sterling teapot
« on: March 23, 2010, 02:02:48 pm »
So I'm going to visit my aunt next weekend in Portland (Oregon) and thought I'd check Craigslist on the off chance of finding a treasure. And indeed I did!

http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/atq/1652982405.html

It's a sterling teapot, and that's all the information the seller gave. I emailed and asked for more pictures, but for now what do you'll think? For $225 I think it's a fair price, but does anyone recognize the maker as of now? One thing I asked for was pictures detailing the hallmarks, but it looks of continental origin to me- English, I would guess.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Craigslist find- sterling teapot
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 04:41:19 pm »
lux, very interesting and intricate find.

I would advise caution.  As we have so many times seen on this site and see continually on ebay, craigslist, etc.....sellers go by what they think a particular item is or have been told.

Would have to see actual silver markings to determine if it was silver, then if it was silverplate or sterling (doubt but could be).

You don't state what they are asking. 
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

luxetveritas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 10:17:38 pm »
Yes, completely agree, which is why I asked for pictures of the hallmarks. They're asking $225 for the teapot, which I think is a reasonable price if it is sterling.

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 11:18:16 am »
It does look Euro , at first glance & fancy too .

You could always bring along a small scale , if you're as cautious/cheapskatey as I , in order to calculate actual silver content .

Hope your Portland trip is a fun one , lux !

luxetveritas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 07:01:50 pm »
Thanks, regularjoe! I'm not sure I'll bring a scale, but I might not need to after all- the seller still hasn't responded! :( Oh well, better luck next time I guess  ;)